Spittle bugs taking over my garden

milkybar4, Oct 28, 10:58pm
I have spittle bugs everywhere! i have an organic garden, other bugs are under control but the spittles appear again and again and again.
how do i get rid of them. i squash them but they're just everywhere! what are they!
i know they suck sap.

graham14, Oct 28, 11:14pm
Neem Granules around the plants that get affected. You need to do this beginning of September each year. Also spray with Neem Oil and Raingard. But the easiest way to get rid of them now is with a reasonable pressure of water from your hose.
The eggs will lie dormant in the soil until ready to hatch. Thats why you need to break the cycle with neem.

milkybar4, Oct 28, 11:35pm
ok thankyou. i guess the preventative measures will have to be done next year.

racheal77, Oct 29, 4:37am
SAME! I have never seen them before and had to google it after finding balls of 'spit' all over my lavender plants. graham does one need to spray with neem after giving them a blast with the hose!

graham14, Oct 29, 5:57am
That would help. They are there for 2-3 months doing their thing so you get rid of one lot only to have the next arrive.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 30, 9:59pm
Neem prevents bugs from metamorphasis, so grab some neem oil or soap (cheaper!) and spray now. Just do it at dusk, so you don't catch any bees.