Have I wrecked my tomato plant?

trah, Nov 24, 10:47pm
Planted a sweet 100 tomato plant last week. This morning I saw that a lateral had grown out from the leader, about a foot long, so I went to cut it off hard up against the leader stem, and accidentally cut through both the lateral AND the leader! Will it grow and produce, or should I get another and replace it?

niffer13, Nov 24, 11:15pm
I always leave the sweet 100 to grow into a bush & never take the lateral off. Hope your plant throw out a shoot or 2. Only time will tell.

lythande1, Nov 25, 2:03am
It will grow again. tomatoes grow into triffids. it will branch out again and make even more so don't panic.

maclad, Nov 25, 4:01am
As above, it make take time but your plant should reward you in the end.

matthews4, Nov 25, 7:14am
If you still have bits you cut, put them in water for awhile, and they will grow more roots. When you take laterals off, you can just put them straight in moist soil, and they will grow roots. I never CUT off laterals, just nip them between fingers, and bend they will break off cleanly. If you have dropped bits you cut off and they are wilting, put them in a bucket of water overnight. they may revive and can then replant. Good luck

socram, Nov 25, 8:28am
As above. Don't worry. Mine are like Triffids too. I do pinch out the laterals as my reasoning is that they are sucking out valuable water and nutrients. Last year, I think we had almost 300 tomatoes from two plants, one of which was a sweet 100. This year, I have 5 sweet 100's in and 4 others.

dibble35, Nov 25, 6:19pm
I accidentally took out the main leader when removing laterals on my black cherry tomato, I left it thinking that it would throw out another leader from somewhere. but it hasnt. It actually isnt looking all that wonderful, leaves have all curled up. Only one out of my 10-12 tomatoes to do so. I'll leave it till the fruit has ripened then out it comes.

cantabman1, Nov 25, 6:35pm
If i have a really healthy lateral to remove, I will plant it in some potting mix and grow it as an extra tom.

trah, Nov 25, 7:25pm
Hmmmm. Most people saying it will recover, and one dubious. The bits I cut off shrivelled in the hot sun and wind and are no good. I dont have space for three tomatoes - my three chosen varieties - and if this doesn't grow back I won't get any cherry toms this year. Maybe I should spend the $9 and not take the risk!

Socram, I think they should rename it sweet 1000, don't you?!

trah, Nov 25, 7:28pm
Oh, and Matthews, I usually just pinch out the laterals between fingers too, but yesterday's one was beyond doing that, it was becoming a secondary leader and too thick to do that.

socram, Nov 25, 8:19pm
LOL.
The "Dr Walters" plant alongside last year produced just 3 tomatoes. I sent it to the mortuary. Bought 3 x sweet 100 plants this year (I grow 3 per bag, straight into the tomato compost) then another small, mixed pack of six - which just happened to have 2 x sweet 100's!

This year, it may well be sweet 1,000! Can't really have too many tomatoes.

bluefrog2, Nov 27, 1:54am
I feel your pain as I've done this too. Mine was the healthiest, fastest growing tomato plant of the lot too.
It will grow back if there is a leaf below where you cut it. Tomato laterals grow out from the joint where a leaf attaches to the main stem. It'll never be quite the same, though.

trah, Jul 19, 6:16pm
Yeah, there are three leaves below where I cut it, but all those leaf junctions have had their laterals removed, so I think it is curtains. Going to buy another plant tomorrow.