Tomato seed.too early to plant?

ambo11, Aug 17, 3:56am
After this stinky winter I'm desperate to get some tomato seeds in.
Is it too early to put seeds in the greenhouse now? I'm very impatiently waiting for spring. lol
Trying the orange tomatoes this year along with Box Car Willy and Black Star.
Can buy tomato plants now at the red shed.

lythande1, Aug 17, 4:42am
Depends if you are likely to get any frosts still. I'd wait till beginning of September.

ambo11, Aug 17, 4:50am
Yeah huge frosts up here, might put them in a tunnel house inside the glasshouse for a while I reckon. Too eager to put winter behind me. the pollen all over the cars and blossoms around have got me excited!

trade4us2, Aug 18, 1:24am
A couple of days ago I took the seeds out of the last tomato on my plant that's been fruiting since last year, and put them on a paper towel. Can I plant these in a seed tray soon? It's really hot here.

dbab, Aug 18, 6:33am
Our local supermarket has tomato plants for sale, so you should be okay with a greenhouse

macandrosie, Aug 18, 7:25am
I'm in Southland but have alot of my vege plants germinated including tomatoes. I start them on a heat pad to get them germinating. I've decided to leave the tomatoes there as we are still getting frosts. I just have to be careful they don't grow too leggy & spindly! Roll on spring! We are sick of the cold down here!

bluas, Aug 20, 2:40am
hi there macandrosie thats a great idea re the heat pads where can I get them from please. Never heard of that before seems like a real good idea though.Thanks

maccachic1, Aug 20, 2:46am
I put mine in the garden last weekend I have sheet of glass over the top. I've had lettuce seedings in for a month now with a few decent frosts and they are doing well so fingers crossed. Brassicas next when I can get more glass / take it from the lettuce.

junie2, Aug 20, 7:03am
A pet pad has been good for me here in chilly Chch. I usually plant tom seeds in Aug and keep them inside on a sunny w'sill after germination. I wouldn't risk any in my glasshouse for quite a while yet.

macandrosie, Aug 20, 9:17am
theyre on trademe under home & living garden conservatory, search "heat pad"

nicz1, Oct 22, 8:09am
I always plant early. If they get frosted I not that much out of pocket and I then plant again. If they don't get frosted then I have the earliest tomatoes in the neighbours hood.