Will seeds germinate after being stored in the

instantly, Sep 13, 4:15pm
Light? I just found some pumpkin and capsicum seeds that I had saved and forgot about some time ago. They have been sitting on saucers on a sunny windowsill, should I attempt to grow them or will they be stuffed?

pinnochio1, Sep 13, 6:05pm
Some seeds go 'off' relatively quickly such as lettuce, while others are claimed to lie dormant in the ground for 300 years and only grow when all the essential growing conditions exist. You will only know by giving it a try.

arabelle, Sep 13, 7:08pm
you will have a good 60% germination rate. go for it. mine land up sitting there over the winter period also. just moisture warmth and soil is all they need now.

melonhead1, Sep 14, 3:40am
A sunny window sill is a bad place to store seed. Having said that, some will germinate I'm sure.
Next time dry and seal them and put in the fridge and they'll last for years.

floralsun, Oct 1, 10:41am
When I cut a pumpkin, at any time of year, and scoop out the seeds, I place them on the patch of garden I want to grow them the next season. the pulp around the seeds eventually breaks down, and in Spring, when they know when to grow, they begin to grow. and from those I have my largest pumpkins, and more pumpkins, than growing anything I've carefully dried and saved and stored, and sown in Spring.
I guess it's Mother Nature's way, the pumpkin breaks down slowly, and the seeds begin to grow when the weather is warm enough.