Robinia Mop Tops Problem

haroldhumpalot, Jan 18, 8:39pm
Good evening everyone, Im trying my best to sort the garden however having a couple of issues. I recently planted two grated robinia mop tops in Christchurch. They are approx 1.5m high.
I was instructed to stake them well as to not split at the grafts. The next two/three days we had a wicked southerly I'm so glad I staked them, however now they are looking very pour. Almost limp like. And im pretty sure they are dieing (fingers crossed not because trees are expensive) We have had a bit of rain lately however they are well situated for sun all day and are in good new top soil and compost mix. Any suggestions as to what I have done wrong? Or how I can help them ? Thanks Nick

pauline999, Jan 19, 9:42am
Maybe they are just 'settling in' and are in the process of establishing roots? Mine were planted along a fence line - I attached shelving brackets from the fence which came about a foot below the 'mop' on each side and supported them at this point rather than at the base until they had a chance to establish themselves.Minimal movement in heavy wind.I used recycled pantyhose to tie them so there was a little bit of give.

qualitytraders, Jan 19, 9:53am
Hi I am in Christchurch too. Even though we have had some rain it is still been very hot and windy. Probably autumn or spring best time to plant them. Maybe give them a weak solution of Seaweed fertilizer. We have found that great for our plants.I love Robinia Mop Tops and want to get some more soon. Yes they are very expensive.

woody89, Jan 19, 10:28am
Often when transplanting trees there is root damage. Generally it is helpful to give the trees a "haircut" to reduce the amount of leaves & twiggy growth that the roots have to try & pump moisture into. I don't know about mop tops in particular but if ever I have any plant go limp & droopy after planting it, I prune heavily & water constantly. Better they live, look a bit odd than die altogether. Usually they settle & grow back with a vengeance & recover their good looks!

brightlights60, Jan 19, 8:45pm
We planted a row of those very expensive trees out by the beach in a new subdivision years ago. First major storm that came along blew a hole in one of them. They do come back. Just give it water and mulch and although it may not look good this year, it may come away again.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 19, 9:58pm
I had one in Blenheim. Pretty thing, bit of a blow and it split in half. I was told they are very tender trees. I didn't replace it.

haroldhumpalot, Jan 7, 3:52pm
thanks so much for your help ! i think ill just keep persevering (water and love)