Light switch problem

eljayv, Jul 10, 9:15pm
Occasionally the switch on my kitchen light does not work. Initially I thought the bulb needed replacing after trying switch several times but some time later when I tried it worked fine and did so for a few days, then again last night same as previously but some time later working again. Is this something I can remedy myself?

vivac, Jul 10, 9:29pm
Is it a Edison screw lamp or bayonet cap?

hammer23, Jul 10, 9:30pm
You need a new switch,the rocker bits inside are worn,job for an electrician.

captaingraham, Jul 10, 10:02pm
Is this something I can remedy myself? If you have to ask, the answer is no.You don't know what you are doing.

cantabman1, Jul 10, 11:12pm
I Have the same problem.Edison screw bulb is not making contact properly and the two contacts need to be prized out. Make sure all the power is off first.

eljayv, Jul 10, 11:52pm
Mine is bayonet type so maybe it is the switch causing probs.

bill1451, Jul 11, 12:05am
As #4 said if you have to ask, its time to pick up the phone and call sparky

michael_edwin, Jul 11, 12:49am
As a sparky, from what you have described, it sounds like you have a fault at the switch. This is a common problem in which people confuse with a dodgy light fitting.
Possible fault #1 - The internal switch (rocker, made front plastic) can wear down over time and stops functioning properly.

Possible fault #2 - The circuit may have a loose connection behind the switch.

So if you don't know much about electrics, I advise calling someone who does to change the switch for you. You can take a switch from and another room and try it to help diagnose the fault further.

eljayv, Jul 11, 4:19am
Thank you and to the people who offered good advice.

sparky_wit, Jul 11, 6:39am
I agree with Michael and also have a look at the pins on the bayonet. If it's been up there long enough time does compromise the pins. These things are usually mechanical failure of nature.

peter148, Jul 13, 10:49pm
I found a dead moth inside my switch which was preventing the light from coming on properly.

bill1451, Jul 16, 8:28am
that dead moth was actually the "engineer" looking after your light switch, got to close to the energy source and died of too many volts too close

tmenz, Jul 18, 2:42am
Hence the expression 'MOTHerf*****r'

sr2, Jul 18, 2:44am
Good grief; are you suggesting the OP (who appears to have little or no electrical knowledge) remove a light switch from another room in the house and install it in place of the offending switch to diagnose the fault?

captaingraham, Nov 20, 5:43pm
Could be a real buzz for someone.