Pumpkin Problem

sinclairsouth, Mar 29, 6:21am
Getting very frustrated - planted pumpkin seed for the very first time and everything was going extremely well (or so I thought). Lots of flowers but now the flowers are dropping off the plants so obviously they are not being fertilised. Is there something I should be doing manually rather than depending on bees? These were special seeds which a lady sent to me so I really want them to produce the goods. Any ideas/suggestions from anyone more knowledgeable than me when it comes to pumpkins would be really appreciated.

aj.2., Mar 29, 6:25am
Sounds like a lack of water, but for the flowers that are left , get a cotton bud, and gently rub that in each flower that will transfer the pollen, to each, as the bees would do it.
Also works for Tomatoes.

maclad, Mar 29, 6:28am
Much too late to worry for this season. Hopefully you still have seed to plant next year. You may find that you need to hand pollinate your female flowers and taking the ends off your runners will help increase the number of flowers you get so is worth doing as well.

harrislucinda, Feb 20, 10:00am
Too late to grow this year so hope you have some seeds for next year
i had plenty of male flowers this time but you can get the male stamen with the pollen on and put it onto the female flower with the bulb on the vine