Growing pumpkin

gag5, Jan 5, 8:45am
Hi. What do people do with their pumpkin vines! i.e. do you break off any of the stems that are shooting out all over the place or do you just let them go wild. I usually do (let them go for it everywhere) but remember hearing something about taking out the laterals like you do tomatoes. Is this corrrect & is that to give fewer but larger pumpkins! Be interested to hear what others do. Ours are going crazy & planted with corn & beans which are struggling for air! Lol.

canz, Jan 5, 1:25pm
what sort of pumpkins, and are the flowers female ones yet! For a start you gets heaps of male flowers

lythande1, Jan 5, 6:36pm
I've let it go, there's room.

gag5, Jan 5, 8:20pm
Dnt know about the flowers - how to tell the difference! most of the plants are Qld Blue - given to me from someones compost bin.
BTW - does the same apply to zucchini plants! Lots of male ones first! Have noticed a few flowers falliong off teh stalks on my zucchinis before the fruit forms & thought something was knocking them off.

kaliyuga, Jan 6, 12:52am
the female flowers have a tiny round baby pumpkin beneath them, whilst the males have just a stalk and pollen covered stamens inside. more lateralsshould mean more chances of female flowers and therefore more pumpkins per plant, once two or three pumpkins form on the plant then take off the growing tips to let the plant concentrate on pumpkins rather than more foliage. ( wait for a while to see if the females have set properly and are swelling first)

gag5, Jan 6, 3:32am
Ok - great thnaks for that. will check them out when I get home form work.

irenew, Jan 20, 2:11am
Thanks, I found that advice really helpful too, as I'm usually unsure at what point to halt the spread of the vine.I've got several pumpkins in my garden, and just love them!