Trying to grow a "Giant " pumpkin.

coro2, Feb 11, 3:39am
Any advice on what to feed my lovely pumpkin. I am just growing it for the fun of it.It seems to be growing well , but I think it would benefit from a feed , anyone got any tips!

brooksy1, Feb 11, 11:22am
In UK pumpkin growing competitions people carefully thread a strand of wool through the stem and have the other end of the wool in a jar of plant food so the pumpkin is constantly getting fed!Also pumpkins are what is known as "gross feeders"meaning they like a LOT of feeding, so toss on heaps of sheep poo, liquid fertilizer etc and you'll get much better results.PS. It is why pumpkins growing in compost bins do so well.

t_naki, Feb 11, 6:08pm
I have heard that you pick one flower that will be your pumpkin and then bury the other flowers in the ground and they turn into more root so the plant can absorb more nutrients. I have never tried it though

liggy2, Feb 11, 6:22pm
I have a plastic bin with a hole in the bottom placed right where the plant grows and keep it full of a mixture of kitchen scraps and lawn clippings and water this as well and the juice coming out makes them grow so fast you can hear them.

coro2, Mar 2, 3:15pm
Thanks, .I have it growing over anold compost site, and feed it the liquid from my worm farm.