Pumpkin help please

canz, Feb 23, 3:07am
Don't be too concerned, those vines are pretty strong even when dried. and pumpkins can stand a drop, you have to throw them onto concert to get them to split open, wait until the vines are dry as possible, or if you really want to cut them now, cut with as much green vine each side of the pumpkin stalk, say 15 cm each side of stalk. leave them to sit on ground until the vine drops off, then store in cool dark place to fully ripen.
You'll be worse off cutting to early, than any damage they may happen if the fall on the ground.

lythande1, Feb 23, 4:00am
You're meant to harvest when vine dies off, let it fall.

holly-rocks, Feb 23, 4:36am
Thank you (:

lodgelocum, Feb 23, 5:40am
I am very jealous of your pumpkins! mine are nothing like that.

samanya, Feb 23, 6:02am
I've got one 'triffid' like pumpkin from the compost as well & last count had around 15 pumpkins on it .the 2 I planted have about 7 between them.
There's only so many you can eat & store without the damned rats getting them, so friends will be begged to take some.

holly-rocks, Feb 23, 7:27am
Thanks lodgelocum :) Ive given it lots of love. our own compost / sheep and cow poo before planing ~ All organic, no sprays and its in a part of the garden that gets alot of sun. Im looking forward to harvest time. They should keep us in pumpkins for months and months and give a few to family too :) YUM

susievb, Feb 23, 5:59pm
Thanks for the info, I only have 2 (started with 4 but 2 got rot at the size of large grapefruit) but just me to feed so I don't need heaps.

liggy2, Mar 21, 10:57am
Put rat baits round your property - you will save birds too.