What's a safe alternative weed spray for around .

macandrosie, Aug 16, 10:14pm
What's a safe alternative weed spray for around the home? I confess to using Roundup plenty over the years as it was readily available on the farm.I don't agree with spraying grain crops to ripen them! Alot of grain today is for stock feed & we don't like our cows eating sprayed crushed grain. We can only ask our supplier/grower not to spray glyphosate sprays!

lythande1, Aug 17, 11:07am
So some guy blames his cancer on it, and everyone rushes to believe him.
Seriously. everyone would have it then.

kandjaja, Aug 17, 11:20am
Get a weed burner. they're awesome

topseycat, Aug 17, 3:55pm
I'm not saying it is cancer forming but I'm becoming aware of all the additives being added to our foods. I do wonder if they could be adding to all the allergies and other medical problems that seem to be around now.
Roundup has been used to make the farmers job easier and cheaper to produce their products. I've always wondered what happened to the Glyphosphate that landed on the leaves of the plant.
I'm starting to grow my own veges now as a start to wholesome living

macandrosie, Aug 17, 5:27pm
I agree lythande1 where will it stop? And how can one man be entitled to over 440 million in the time he has left?! Monsanto would go bust if they could prove it had such adverse affects on our food.

geldof, Aug 17, 7:05pm
I use white vinegar with salt and dishwash liquid. Works faster than roundup and kill the same weeds. (some weeds/plants won't die no matter what I use )

starseeker, Aug 17, 7:11pm
I suspect that the amount of money awarded is meant as a wake-up call to Monsanto. It is a firm which has a lot of history of dodgy materials over the years

annies3, Aug 17, 7:19pm
I agree,
This person was in a position where he was using spray continuously and was apparently thoroughly doused in it more than once, it has been proven that the glycophosphate is the cause of his cancer, do you honestly think he would have been awarded that compensation if he never had a VERY strong case.

pauldw, Aug 17, 9:21pm
A jury decision is not the same as proof. This is just the start, Monsanto will appeal.

miwife, Aug 18, 8:26am
I use white vinegar. Works a dream

cantabman1, Aug 18, 8:53am
try hiring a Steam cleaner, that will kill all your weeds without any after effects.

grrrahaaam, Aug 18, 12:06pm
Probably off topic but to me the court decision is daft. Firstly the company will appeal and keep it in the courts for years. If it is upheld the thousands of other claimants won't get anything because the company and any insurers will be bankrupted with the first few claimants. Don't know if it is a cancer causer, wouldn't be surprised if it was but how will justice be done?

wasgonna, Aug 18, 1:44pm
Wow, that's three products the soil will really love.

valleygirl16, Aug 18, 5:30pm
Ive been hearing vinegar on the radio alot lately so i'll be trying that.
Weedez from The Warehouse is ok too.

ianab, Aug 19, 10:11am
Not picking on the WeedEnz product specifically, but is it actually safer than Roundup?

From the labelL
"DANGER: Concentrate can cause skin irritation and serious
eye damage from direct contact. Spillage of concentrate
into waterways can be harmful to aquatic life."
and
"It is an offence for users of this product to cause
residues exceeding the relevant MRL in the Food.
Notice: Maximum Residue Levels for Agricultural
Compounds."

Not picking on this product specifically, but don't confuse "Organic" for Safe, they are not necessarily the same thing. This spray is derived from the allopathic toxins that pine trees naturally produce to discourage competition from other plants. It's probably quite effective at killing weeds. It's probably quite safe (as long as you don't get any one you).

It possibly it also causes cancer, at least in California.

http://www.orionagriscience.co.nz/pdfs/labels/WEEDENZ%201L%20110x100.pdf

starseeker, Aug 19, 4:25pm
Geldorf, can you give us the quantities or recipe for salt, white vinegar & dish-wash liquid in your weed-killer?
TIA

thisles5, Aug 19, 9:00pm
hands and knees !

pauldw, Oct 5, 11:00am
In the dark so you don't get melanoma from exposure to the sun.