Spray drift

skinnny, Nov 16, 6:18am
I spot sprayed my lawn to kill onehunga weed using a spray bottle on a calm day. A week later I noticed my roses looking very sick . I have cut them back will they come away again or have I killed them.

maclad, Nov 16, 6:43am
Guessing it will be a game of wait and see. Roses are very highly susceptible to hormone sprays and it is unlikely they will ever be the same again. You could wait and see if they survive but that takes a long time, or you could cut your losses and just bite the bullet and replace them. In my experience roses are unlikely to survive this sort of thing. Sorry. Best time to spray lawn weeds is very early in the AM before the wind gets up.

lythande1, Nov 16, 6:40pm
Unlikely. It's pretty hard to kill a plant. The rose will be sick for a year and could well have deformed flowers next year - but it will recover.
happened to one of my grape vines.

maclad, Nov 17, 3:31am
Ummm, maybe it will survive? but is it worth all the time and waiting. Good luck.

wheelz, Nov 17, 4:20am
My brother got Round Up on his wife's roses, quite a few of them, they survived. Probably took most of that season, but the following year, they were great. Roses live for many years, so losing 1 years blooms isn't much in the scheme of things. I remember her being peeved they survived, cos she wanted to buy new ones

maclad, Nov 17, 4:31am
Roundup is a very different story to roses coming into contact with broadleaf turf spray. Seen many, many roses recover from roundup drift but turf spray is a very different thing.

kenw1, Nov 17, 6:52am
What was in the spray that you used?

skinnny, Jul 29, 9:17am
It was McGregors Weed Out, lawn weed control. Controls weeds without harming the grass. I used the same stuff last year and had no problems with it harming my plants.