Spray on lawn

toysky, Nov 8, 6:40am
With our new build contract the lawns were of the spray on grass type. It is about 5 weeks old.it's coming up but heck a lot of weed with it. At 5 weeks old is there a appropriate lawn feed and weed killer to spray on? Thanks in advance.

skin1235, Nov 8, 6:42am
get them back and show them the weeds, its not what you paid for, have them fix it

tweake, Nov 8, 7:13am
i would be careful on what you put on young grass.
weed spray and fert can damage young grass.
i'm rusty on it so hopefully someone will correct me, but if they don't do anything, wait till the grass is more mature before using weed spray.
apply fert separately, preferable after the weeds have died.

your always going to get weeds coming up on freshly disturbed soil.

golfdiver, Nov 8, 6:56pm
Sounds like the soil wasn't prepared properly or was trucked in full of weed seeds. The other issues are often all the long grass and weeds seeding from unbuilt sections in your subdivision

toysky, Nov 8, 11:38pm
About 150 mm of topsoil was spread so it was probably of a rubbish grade then.

tweake, Nov 9, 12:12am
i doubt they would go to the cost of weed free soil.

maclad, Aug 5, 9:52pm
I would tend to let it grow unless you wish to have it replaced. It is far too young to spray or fertilize. Keep it mown, not too short, that discourages weed seed from germinating and when about 6 months old spray with a broadleaf turf spray. Summer lawns often do come up weedy, that is why Autumn is the best time to sow. I have seen lawns germinate weedy as many times, but if you can hold off then a spray will help heaps.