Electric Hot Water or Gas ?

luigi21, Aug 21, 9:38am
Having renewed the shower in the bathroom there still remains the problem of low hotwater pressure. Which is the best way to go do you think ? Gas or Mains pressure Hot water Cylinder ?

studio1, Aug 21, 11:03am
Neither. Get a Rinnai Infinity unit and you'll never look back. You can get them for Natural Gas and LPG. They only heat when you're actually drawing water, then they shut down completely so not using any energy = very efficient. They are mains pressure.

serf407, Aug 21, 3:58pm
Califont as above.

if they work as advertised hybrid heat pump hot water and use solar pv/ big battery to heat you hot water.
https://youtu.be/Is9zUPuJOWw
norway and sweden have some interesting hot water cylinders

trade4us2, Aug 23, 9:25pm
How high is the shower compared with the hot water cylinder? If they are both on the same floor, a low pressure cylinder should be OK for a shower.
Otherwise find the fault (shower rose needs cleaning or pressure reducing valve needs adjusting, or blocked filter by shower, or blocked pipe or tempering valve faulty)

comsolve, Aug 23, 10:17pm
Gas. Rinnai.

That's it.

colin433, Aug 25, 2:13pm
just be aware that if you're used to having a hot water cylinder to store linen and other stuff, you wont have one with gas, although I guess if the cupboard is already there, you'll have an unheated cupboard. We really miss ours with having gas

studio1, Aug 25, 6:33pm
You can buy small cupboard heaters that will keep a cupboard at a similar temperature as what a hot water cylinder does, for a fraction of the cost. Losing the cylinder will save way more energy than the heater uses.

mark_g, Aug 25, 6:46pm
Can get indoor infinity units too. We're getting one because there is no convenient place outside the house to bolt an external unit to (that is in a location somewhere between kitchen and bathroom). The old HW cupboard is as it turn out pretty much in the centre of the hot water requirements, the kitchen, bathroom 1 and bathroom 2. So we get to keep a HW cupboard. Indoor unit needs a flue thru the roof though.

biggles45, Aug 25, 6:50pm
Gas every time.

bill1451, Aug 25, 7:33pm
If you have low pressure hot and cold water supplys there are only 1 or 2 shower mixer units
(in my experience) that will work properly Methven I think, also the plumber should have removed a plastic insert from the cold connection.

mtbotrev, Aug 25, 8:09pm
we have Rinnai and two large external tanks. and damp chasers in old HWC for clothes. All works well. Wont solve prewssure problem tho.

hulloitsme, Aug 27, 9:39am
Now that oil & gas exploration has been banned, you will need to factor in no more gas after the current wells are empty.

wembley1, Aug 27, 12:54pm
That's not quite true. No *new* exploration permits are to be issued. Current mining permits remain and current exploration permits may be changed to mining permits.

"On the question of supply, Ms Ardern said there were 31 active oil and gas exploration permits, including 22 offshore.

"These permits cover an area of 100,000sqkm, nearly the size of the North Island, and run as far out as 2030 and could go an additional 40 years under a mining permit," Ms Ardern said."
https://www.odt.co.nz/business/no-new-offshore-oil-and-gas-exploration

brightlights60, Sep 1, 10:30am
We have changed over to gas instant hot water over 2 years ago and never looked back. Saving around $100 a month on our power bill, endless hot water and high pressure. Would never have a cylinder again.

budgel, Sep 1, 11:57am
Of course you will be paying less for your power if it isnt heating your water.

You dont say how much your gas is costing you, or the cost of installation.

brightlights60, Sep 1, 12:52pm
Hubby is a tradie, so we paid cost for all the parts and he did the labour with a friend. With the help of a plumber it was done in around 3 hours.
The gas is around $98 a tank and we go through (with up to 6 adults in the house at times( 10 tanks a year). I keep records of all our power bills going back over 10 years, the savings for us have been fantastic.

dastedly, Sep 1, 2:16pm
Using power can cost less if set up in the right way and right size . I have 300lt and on night rate at 12 cents kw . cost for hot water is only $24 for 4 living in house .

colin433, Sep 1, 6:46pm
do you get your gas at tradie rates too. I just paid for our last deliver, $129. We were paying $99 when we bought this house ten years ago, and it's gradually crept up to a price level that is not desireable

brightlights60, Sep 30, 7:49am
No, that is the rate, we are with Genesis Energy here in Christchurch. At one point we were on a special rate of a cylinder a month, but found we weren't using it.