Replace gas cooktop question ?

brian_k7, Aug 25, 3:58am
How easy is it to replace a gas cooktop ? Just a standard set of hobbs. (no oven) on a bench top . Is it a case of turning off the gas and unscrewing the hose fitting ? Or do you have to use a gas fitter/plumber ?

merrigj, Aug 25, 5:05am
I was scalded at a plumbing shop for wanting to replace a gas regulator on our gas cook top (Similar sort of screwing/unscrewing). In short it is a very simple job but very bad consequences if you get it wrong. Would be best to get a gas fitter to do the job.

nick2707, Aug 25, 9:22am
D.I.Y - you can only tighten the gas fittings so much before they split. Once you think they are tight, make up a 50:50 mix of dish wash liquid and water, turn the gas on, get the wife's pastry brush and brush the solution over all joins. If you see a bubble forming, you've got a leak, if not all good.

dastedly, Aug 25, 9:59am
But there are other things that the D I Y would not know about ? Like set the burner pressure and the right jets are in

carter19, Aug 25, 10:34pm
A gas Code Compliance Certificate will list the make and model of any appliance installed by a gasfitter. If your house explodes (this did happen in Ruakaka) your insurance company may not pay out. It migjt be easy but it it is illegal to do your own gasfitting

tjholding, Aug 26, 3:49am

redhead96, Aug 26, 5:07am
Plus some won't honour the warranty unless you have the certificate.

wembley1, Aug 26, 5:36am
Insurance would be the least of your worries. You may have someone's death on your hands. The judge sentencing the home handyman in the Ruakaka case thought so and in sentencing had a starting point of twenty months imprisonment.

brian_k7, Oct 15, 5:47pm
Thanks for input everyone , decided to get a gas fitter in. pleased I did as there turned out to be a few prob,s !