LPG cylinders, Why exchange bottles full of gas?

Page 1 / 2
planespotterhvn, Aug 27, 1:05pm
Is there still Gas in the cylinder?
Use the gas up before you swap the cylinder.
You paid for that gas, why give it back to the swap a bottle people for free?

bill1451, Aug 27, 7:16pm
Exactly why would you,

cwag, Aug 27, 7:46pm
Isn't that why you are swapping the bottle? Because it has run out of gas?

macman26, Aug 27, 8:37pm
Because some people think that the expiry date means they can't use it anymore. I scored a 1/2 full one even when I explained that it only means it can't be refilled until it has been tested and restamped.

budgel, Aug 27, 9:22pm
Has anybody here weighed one of the swap bottles when they have purchased it? I have been told you get less in the bottle than if you had your own one refilled.

planespotterhvn, Oct 15, 11:22am
Unlikely. They fill to the specs written on the bottle.

marte, Oct 15, 12:39pm
The mind boggles. I have had to explain this to sooooo many people, and they still don't believe me.
At the moment I have about 6 partly full gas bottles.

jonners2013, Oct 15, 7:10pm
do you guys work at petrol stations and you just keep putting aside the half full ones for your own use? that sounds like a wonderful plan, I might need to get me a job at a petrol station! :)

maclad, Oct 16, 3:31am
The only time I swap a bottle is when mine has passed the expiry date. It is cheaper to refill your own but if you swap an expired one there is no added cost and it saves you the cost of testing and compliance.

planespotterhvn, Oct 21, 4:47pm
People are still swapping ful bottles of gas. Why?

2sheddies, Oct 22, 4:18am
Is the price difference between swapping a bottle and refilling your own considerable? I can't seem to find pricing for swaps online.

maclad, Oct 22, 4:20am
I think, don't quote me, about $30 $32 to refill 21kg and closer to $40 to swap.

2sheddies, Oct 23, 8:30am
Thanks, much appreciated.

dezzie, Oct 23, 10:59pm
My garage up the road does refills for $30, and to swap a bottle at the warehouse is $34.70.

chelseabird, Oct 24, 3:23am
I pay $29.90 at National Gas for a 9kg refill. Z charges $36 for the swap a cylinder.

martin11, Oct 24, 4:27am
If you have got that number stored at home hope you do not have a fire because you are not allowed that many on a residencial property .

farmerjohn, Oct 24, 6:19am
If you swap a 9kg bottle it cost $36 at snells beach but only has 8.5 kg of lpg
If you get your bottle filled from Mt cost $32.00 for 9kg a better deal, and you only pay for what you get ie they weigh bottle before filling and after.

moltenfire, Oct 24, 6:30am
I have a 90kg bottle thats half full and gas still all OK. It will have been filled prior to the compliance expiry which was 1991. Do I suppose the naysayers would claim that I should empty it, get it complied then refill it . !

granada, Oct 24, 7:20am
So whats the magic number. ive got two 90 kg bottles running my house, a 9 kg running the bbg , another 9 kg for the pizza oven and another two bottles on the caravan, whats the issue.

moltenfire, Oct 24, 7:25am
Sez who?

wembley1, Oct 24, 7:39am
The hazardous substances regulations sez who.

They specify how much LPG you can have *indoors*. For a single residence 20 kg per dwelling with a maximum cylinder size of 10 kgs:
http://www.business.govt.nz/worksafe/information-guidance/all-guidance-items/hsno/hsno-guidance-pages/liquified-petroleum-gas-lpg

Outdoor storage is a different story - once you get over two 45 kg cylinders you need a location test certificate (what used to be called a dangerous goods licence).

wembley1, Oct 24, 7:45am
If you have two 90s you should have had a test certifier in to issue a location test certificate for the cylinder location. Might pay to check with your insurer to see if you're covered for a fire.

wembley1, Oct 24, 7:54am
No point at all - the law says you can't refill if when it is out of test and says nothing about you not be able to use it until then.

One workshop I worked at years ago had a cylinder stamped "US Army Air Force". The "Army Air Force" became the plain "US Air Force" in 1947. It still had gas in it so still could be used.

granada, Oct 24, 8:17am
The two 90s have a test certificate so no issue. , was issued when i stalled and cant get a refiller to swap out the bottles without one. I was more pointing out to Martin that he doesnt know what hes talking about with having six 9 kg bottles at home being illegal.

wembley1, Oct 24, 9:02am
It is illegal if he has them stored indoors.