Who has moved the washing machine to their garage?

jessica21_nz, Nov 28, 1:39pm
I want to do this and wonder if its easy to do? How would we connect the water etc?

shaun16, Nov 29, 4:14am
is there any actual need for you to do this? probably a waste of time and money to do so. in my case my water pump (bore water) is in the garage so If I wanted to, I could easily hook into it to get water for a washer. but then you still need somewhere for the waste water

maclad, Nov 29, 4:51pm
My washing machine is in my garage/ sleepout as the house is just too small. Water was taken across from nearby bathroom pipes, only 2.5 metres distant, electricity already there and the waste water was discharged into the gully trap which I imagine was plumbed into the house waste water system.

bit, Dec 3, 9:29pm
Jessica probably wants to move it to the garage because of the noise, which seems quite logical.

colin433, Dec 3, 10:12pm
when we bought this house, the washing machine was already in the garage. I assume it was done when the house was built three years prior to our purchase. There is water plumbed in, and a very long waste pipe goes under the house to the only gulley trap. We have since converted the original garage into a 'mancave'.
Like mclad, our house if very small, and not having the washing machine in the house makes a tremendous difference. We have undercover access to the garage, so need not worry about what the weather is like, and we also use the garage for the clothesline. The clothes dry beautifully with the access door left open.

wasgonna, Dec 4, 6:44am
I think jessica just wants to move the beer fridge into the laundry. Good on ya mate!

survivalkiwi, Dec 4, 7:04am
Our laundry is in the garage.
I would say about 50% of new builds have the laundry in the garage.
As a rule of thumb i would say houses over 180m2 mainly have a laundry room and those under mainly put the laundry in the garage.
Well they do in this part of the country.

nzjay, Dec 4, 2:06pm
Many new houses over the past 25 or so years have had the "laundry" in the garage. Mine is and perfectly happy with it.

pamols, Dec 4, 2:12pm
I have 2 laundries! My main one with a small machine is in main house and the big machine is in the garage house. Works really well it’s to the back corner and beside the hot water cylinder.

flancrest, Dec 4, 9:50pm
Rubbish. Best thing we ever did, and well worth every cent.

Moved laundry into garage. Converted old laundry plus second toilet into main bathroom. Converted old bathroom to ensuite.

onl_148, Dec 5, 12:29pm
one advantage of a laundry in the garage is if your machine has an oops and decides to pump some or all of the water onto the floor then it is only the garage floor that has flooded. not a river of soapy water down the hall carpet.

tmenz, Dec 6, 8:39am
I did but she drove away in my car.

mojo49, Dec 6, 9:06am
Did it over 10 years ago. Into a what was a triple garage, but it only had two car doors. Walled off part and made it a double garage/ laundry and created a second lounge with wood burning fireplace. Used the original water supply etc for a small bench with kettle etc. Put washer and dryer and freezer on back wall of garage with lino across it in front of the cars to make it look nicer. Power was already there. Plumbing was a simple matter of cutting into the hot and cold water in the ceiling and the waste drain was already right outside. Put a nice workbench/ cupboards in the new laundry and a small fold out clothes line above the bench for winter drying of small washes. Fantastic outcome. Now it is rented out and we live elsewhere with a conventional laundry.

lissie, Jan 31, 9:56am
Yup the laundry was next to the kitchen, huge and had an unnecessary external glass door on the s side which bled heat . Madd an awesome walk in pantry and it was very cheap to move the laundry to the downstairs garage which already had power and plumbing nearby as it was under the bathroom. Just bought an integrated laundry tub in a drawer unit