Planted a peach stone

bubbles22222, Mar 19, 9:10pm
has anyone been successful to plant a peach stone and it grow into a peach tree. Also looking to plant an apricot stone. Any tips or advice appreciated

les6, Mar 19, 10:05pm
be patient.don`t forget where you planted it as it probably won`t come up till spring time.

coralsnake, Mar 20, 3:58am
Not a stone fruit but niece planted some what she thought where orange seeds back in Texas. One finally sprouted which she gave to us and we 'lovingly' tendered it [not]. However the thing thrived. It was just small enough when we moved; dug it up and took it with us; replanted it.

Within a couple of years that thing grew like there was no tomorrow then started flowering. On what a gorgeous smell in the yard of orange blossom. Fruits started appearing and as they grew looked yummy.

Finally cut one off and split it with a knife. Took a bite and quickly spat it out - wasn't an orange but a ruby red grapefruit. Darn! That tree grew and grew and so did it's ability to fruit. We didn't eat grapefruit and offered them to friends, family and neighbors who all turned down the offer of come and pick what you want. Now when we picked or gathered up windfalls and offered they couldn't come around quick enough and get a pail full.

So in the end we just let them fall and picked them up and dumped them in the fire pit!

Believe me they have huge thorns on which is why no-one wanted to come pick.

I have two avocados that I started from pips currently growing on my patio. It will take a few more years before they start fruiting.

I threw several dozen apricot pips into the garden so who knows if they will strike or not! Good luck!

piquant, Mar 20, 7:25am
coralsnake - what your niece actually grew was Poncirus trifoliata. It is used in all citrus grafting as rootstock. You can easily tell it by its fearful thorns and also the foliage - it is trifoliate (or three leaved). The fruit do indeed look like oranges but they are very bitter but can be used for making marmalade.
Peaches, nectarines and apricots will generally come true from seed but the story is not so easy with a lot of other fruit. You may be lucky and get something good - but the chances are, you'll wait years to get - well, really something rather disappointing.

retrogold, Mar 20, 8:48am
Yes I've grown plum and peach trees from stones, I start them off in a pot then plant in garden when tall enough, they now produce a lot of fruit.

harrislucinda, Mar 20, 4:32pm
same all my fruit trees are from fruit that i have eaten and liked black boy peach= apricot = and plums

antoniab, Mar 21, 2:59pm
Peaches are great to grow from stone and come true to form - particularly "black boy" and "golden queen" :)

jan2242, Mar 22, 12:19pm
Mine wasn't planted, just came up. It's the nicest peach I have ever eaten, BUT it is in the wrong place so sadly will be coming down. No idea who or when it was 'planted'. Good luck.

colin433, Dec 6, 3:08pm
probably thrown away after a child had eaten the peach that it came from.
Lots of peaches, apples and plums on the roadside when I was a kid (back in the 1940's) they'd have been thrown by kids as we rode home. Me on my pony, the others on bikes.
My pony came in handy for getting fruit that was too high to reach. We could stand on his back and he'd never move. Such lucious fruit up higher