***Home security system***

standard, Apr 11, 7:14pm
Looking for some suggestions and information about a good home security camera system to buy.
Type, make, model, price etc would be most helpful.
Thanks!

gabbysnana, Apr 11, 7:21pm
Check out aliexpress

standard, Apr 11, 7:53pm
Bit worried about buying from overseas?

rohoman, Apr 11, 10:01pm
Aliexpress is fine if you don't want any after-sales tech support. Jaycar sell systems, as do Bunnings and possibly Mitre10Mega. Best idea is to go look at the range and see what works best for you. Make sure you get an HD system with HD cameras. Anything less is a waste of time as resolution isn't that great and when you're trying to ID someone or read a car rego plate on a still-frame, you need all the resolution you can get.

standard, Apr 12, 7:41pm
Thanks rohoman, helpful

budgel, Apr 12, 11:17pm
I think the best camera systems are those that are motion activated and have a sim card that allows the pics to be automatically uploaded to the cloud. This means that you can monitor it by cellphone when you are away.

jono450, Apr 13, 5:27pm
Arlo pro

suicidemonkey, Apr 13, 5:53pm
Why pay the extra data cost associated with a sim card? There are many wifi capable cameras available that hook up to your existing internet connection to achieve the same result for no extra cost.

budgel, Apr 14, 10:20am
Fair enough.

trade4us2, Apr 14, 11:59am
Having had 8 CCTV cameras for many years and catching many crims, I can say that the best pictures are those from cameras hidden at face height, with no lights at all (otherwise the crims will see them). Have 150watt sensor lights some distance away, and record when there is movement. Have some cameras recording all the time, preferably pointing along the street. Ideally have high quality cameras to capture the rego numbers of cars going both ways in the street. You can hide those cameras in your letterbox.
The sensor lights will scare most crims away.
Each morning, have a quick look at the times of any recordings. The recordings will mostly be of rats and birds and spiders.

tegretol, Apr 16, 9:51am
On this subject, has anyone found an IP camera that is any use for number plate recording? I mean, at full zoom and able to record a readable plate at 100m. And how to get round the problems associated with reading them at night with IR reflection issues.

trade4us2, Apr 16, 12:08pm
I get excellent pictures of rego plates with an ordinary flash camera focussed to infinity, so I considered making an infrared flash light. A strobe light would not last more than a few months, so I was going to make a spinning wheel with holes in it with an IR light behind it.
But then all the crims and vandals suddenly went away. I must have driven them to some other suburb.

tegretol, Apr 16, 2:10pm
Am running iSpy with the no plate recognition which triggers a TTL available alarm and I use to open the sliding gate. So if an unknown vehicle come down our very long drive, the gate won't open. But those that are known are fine. Keeps the vandals, thugs and stock thieves off the place. Next step will be to put SMS system in place and remote opening.

monsieurl, Apr 16, 2:41pm
as well as having a house alarm I run a few strategically placed simple wifi cameras (Digoo?) around the house and garage and also have a Ring 2 doorbell, all cameras are really good quality, pick up faces and if a car pulls up my driveway picks up car and plate perfectly, no reflection issues as the sensor light switches on. All up i have less than $500 in my setup which is like 1/3 of what i paid for my last fixed system.

sr2, Nov 24, 3:03pm
From the ispy site.

"A modern PC with 2GB of RAM and 200 GB of free hard disk space should be more than capable of running 4 cameras simultaneously at 320 x 240 resolution".

With 4K cameras being readily available even 1080 is now considered to be low res?