Anyone installied a DIY lawn irrigation system?

sooby, Nov 7, 8:38am
Howdy folks, anyone here installed their own DIY lawn irrigation system?

We were quoted about $1,800 for a pro to install a system, since a co-worker said it was easy to add to their Bunnings kit thought I??

pixma, Nov 7, 9:52am
I installed a very basic 5 popup system using 2 kits from mega. Only problem was the nasty little plastic hose clips, replaced them with metal ones. One hose connects to the tap, with 3 valves so I can water just specific areas. Got a plastic water toby box, buried it and put the valves in there out of sight.

brightlights60, Nov 7, 4:17pm
Over 30 odd years we have had all sorts. The best one was one we had put in by a plumber friend. There used to be an Irrigation Warehouse here in Christchurch and the parts were superior to those bought from the DIY stores. That system was absolutely ace, and is still being used now (we sold the house but know its still working over 20 years down the track). I think you get what you pay for. We ran one in this garden we have now, but did so many renovations its somewhat buried, but must "unearth" it as it would save a lot of hand watering. Trouble is, its only as good as your water pressure. Out at the beach where we lived we had really good pressure, here its not so great. If you draw up what you need, and buy good quality fittings you could either install it yourself or get someone to do it, that would save some money from a professionally supplied and installed system.

sooby, Nov 8, 8:11am
cheers guys!

111111, Dec 27, 8:50pm
Did you install yr own lawn irrigation yet? We had a quote for 2345.00 for a very small lawn ! Keen to do it but not sure about linking to a solenoid valve. Putting down the actual lines is not hard but wiring it for being automated is my challenge. Any advice?

macman26, Dec 27, 9:48pm
Get decent popup sprinkles. Concrete surrounds. Need to see what pressure and flow you have.
Are you looking at automatic on a timer or manual turn on a tap?
Don't put the sprinklers above the main line. Tee off to the side and put rises in there.

makinmoney, Dec 28, 12:27am
I put one in myself a few years ago and it worked really well but the only thing I could have done better was to co next to the main water supply before it goes into your house system and then out to your garden taps - this way it's mains pressure with nothing to slow it down ( your popups will "pop up" so much better on full pressure. Good luck, you'll be so pleased with yourself when you save well over $1000 dollars

sooby, Dec 29, 3:52am
Hey 111111,

Haven't proceeded yet, am hoping it happens this summer. If it does, I'll post my experiences here. I still need a pro to visit and give a pressure reading. Found this useful website: http://irrigationexpress.co.nz/

atlantis3, Dec 30, 10:06am
If putting one of these irrigation systems in ring main the pipes - ie feed the main water in both ends to improve flow.

111111, Dec 31, 11:31am
Okay. I will ask our friendly plumber to check the pressure and I will go to the irrigation express website. Thank you all.

111111, Jun 24, 9:55am
We will be having it automatic as we are moving and will rent this one out.