Kids Wood DIY Kit

sw26, Nov 23, 10:59pm
Hi there.
I have a 5 and 6 year old. For Christmas I have bought them both a kids version of a real life toolbox. I would now like to find them a wooden kit for them to build (Hammer and Nail). Any ideas where to buy something like that from?

carter19, Nov 23, 11:05pm
Bunnings and MItre 10 have these things. They are not cheap and you might be better off cutting up some untreated timber for them to bang nails into. Make sure its untreated as, if they are interested, they will wont to play for a longish time. My boy spent hours banging nail - such a delightful time of many panadol

daryl14, Nov 26, 9:50am
Probably better to buy some plans for some toys off the net, pre cut the wood, make wheels or whatever then get the kids to help put it together with glue nails etc. I've done this. Think I paid about 10 bucks US for a set of plans for a truck and trailer. Also my kids spent the last hols making bird feeders and bird boxes, cat kennels cars trucks etc. Spot light has some more crafty type wooden bits and bobs.

punkinthefirst, Nov 27, 2:41am
Oh, and make sure they have REAL tools (light weight version) Kids toy tools are just not durable enough. A tack hammer, pliers and a dovetail or back saw are good to start with. If your kids just want to bang in nails, a big round of firewood is a good place to do this.
You might also want to get them some offcuts of untreated timber and LOTS of nails (they go through gazillions of them), and build them a small, solid workbench (too heavy for them to carry), so that the nails and bits of wood stay off the lawn. nothing worse than projectiles zooming through the back of the catcher!
Other handy "stuff" includes coloured plastic bottle tops, water-based paint and small brushes, tins, glue. your imagination is your only limit.
Wheels are easily made with a holesaw - you can get a multisized set of them for your electric drill for a few dollars.
The BEST thing you can give them is your time, spent holding things while they bang in the nails and not taking over the job, no matter how painfully slow it is. Have fun.