DIY plumbing?

Page 1 / 2
jonners2013, Jul 17, 1:05am
Am I allowed to remove an old galv water supply pipe that is under my house and replace with new poly pipe?

at some time in the past the mains supply from the street has been replaced, so it's relatively modern. but the old galv steel pipe remains from the front of the house. all kitchen and bathroom plumbing has been upgraded, so all that remains of the old pipework is this single line of pipe down the middle of the house.

can i replace it or must i use a plumber?

trade4us2, Jul 17, 1:15am
I installed my own supply pipe, having had all the other plumbing replaced by a plumber. It was really easy.

jonners2013, Jul 17, 1:20am
yep agreed. it's not hard and i've done plenty of my own plumbing in the past and nothing has gone disastrous yet (fingers crossed). i guess i'm really checking on the legalities of this as this time it's for a rental property rather than one i'm living in.

lythande1, Jul 17, 2:41am
Allowed? No/
Could you? I don't know, can you?

Anything except ball valves and tap washers isn't allowed anymore.

martin11, Jul 17, 2:48am
Thought it was only drains that had to be done by a qualified person .

mdread, Jul 17, 3:20am
nope, as said above, legally the only thing a person or handyman can touch is replacing tap washers etc. plenty of stories lately of people getting caught out and being fined thousands - usually when it all goes pear shaped. whether you do it or not is obviously up to you

jonners2013, Jul 17, 4:27am
OK thanks guys n gals.

I'm not trying to get out of getting the pros in, i'm just happy to do things myself. so to keep it all above board, i'll ring a plumber and probably have to remortgage the house to cover his bill. :(

shaun16, Jul 17, 5:58am
So you're allowed to replace switches/light fittings etc in you're house (high voltage/dangerous) but you can't replace a water pipe?

macman26, Jul 17, 7:27am
House is low voltage. But I see your point.

sr2, Jul 17, 9:33am
Oh dear!

wembley1, Jul 17, 9:45am
Care to tell us which part of the Plumbers Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act allows a non-authorised person to undertake Sanitary Plumbing just because it is leaking?

wembley1, Jul 17, 9:49am
There is provision within the plumbers Act for "home-owner plumbing" but the problem is the plumber's board have never turned it on.

shaun16, Jul 17, 9:53am
well that's stupid. electricity is more dangerous than plumbing

wembley1, Jul 17, 10:06am
"Two people in Hawke's Bay have contracted Legionnaires disease from water in their own homes with one so badly afflicted she has had her feet amputated."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/70285141/legionnaires-disease-from-hot-water-cylinder-results-in-amputations

A plumber wouldn't have set the water temperature below 60.

pauldw, Jul 17, 11:20am
It has been but there doesn't seem to be an easily accessible list of areas that have been Gazetted. I think the Mastertrade website had the list for a while, now gone.

aredwood, Jul 17, 12:33pm
Since it is a rental any homeowner exemptions will never apply as you don't live in the property. This applies to electrical as well as plumbing. So if a light switch needs replacing in a rental. An electrician must do it.

trade4us2, Jul 17, 12:37pm
Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010
low voltage: means any voltage exceeding 50 volts AC or 120 volts ripple-free DC but not exceeding 1 000 volts AC or 1 500 volts ripple-free DC

jonners2013, Jul 17, 7:28pm
Yeah although I find that totally bizarre. Either someone is qualified/capable of doing it or they aren't. It's not magically less dangerous just because I move into the house instead of renting it out. Surely if it's too dangerous to allow DIY to do it then it shouldn't matter if it's the house you live in or any other house.

mdread, Jul 17, 10:24pm
Maybe its to do with putting others in danger? just guessing

mdread, Jul 17, 10:26pm
Yea too many people arent aware of this and keep turning it down, especially the elderly, i noticed when they used to have the ad on tv about power saving they would tell people to have it at 55 at the tap - but only in small writing bottom of screen saying it has to be over 60 at cylinder. also the dials on the thermostats are rarely accurate, need to actually test the water temp.

lythande1, Jul 17, 11:57pm
No there isn't.
Still, plenty of registered plumbers screw up. like builders, it's not a guarantee of competence, just registration and the fact they have paid their club fees.

There are bad registered plumbers, and good amateur people, same as bad amateur people and good registered ones too. like any profession.

But the law is what the question was about.

zak410, Jul 18, 12:05am
I suppose farms are exempted from this law, I don't imagine Mr Farmer having to call a plumber every time a pipe need fixing.

wembley1, Jul 18, 1:52am
Really?

Section 15 Exemption for householders:
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2006/0074/latest/DLM397089.html Section 16 Exemption for sanitary plumbing in rural districts http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2006/0074/latest/DLM397090.html

19 Exemption for sanitary plumbing under supervision
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2006/0074/latest/DLM397093.html

As I said before there is provision but in so far as I am aware it has never been turned on.

"sorry wembley"

carter19, Jul 18, 4:38am
Where are the current gazette notices to be found? I read that it only applies if there is a current gazette notice.

wembley1, Jul 18, 4:56am
As I've said before, I don't think they exist. I've searched the PGDB website and the Internal Affairs Gazette website and can't find anything.

Plumbers will often slag the PGDB and say they are autocratic and only out to get the tradesman. My belief is that the Act was designed for home-owner work but the PGDB has resisted implementing it, which works in the tradesmen's favour.