Shower dome DIY install

diddi1, Sep 28, 11:18pm
Anyone had any experience of this? I see you can buy a DIY kit with the product purchase for $9. Installation cost seems to be around $135 to $150. Just wondering how easy the dome would be to cut to size.

mebloodrunsblu, Sep 29, 2:31am
We used a cut off disc in a grinder to cut the dome to size. It took ages and was messy. I elected not to fasten it down as now when it gets dusty I can remove it for cleaning.My shower is a corner unit.

cagivachick1, Sep 29, 4:28am
still got the Z1r?

alister1, Sep 29, 7:02am
Buy a flat piece of clear arcyrlic and fit on top of the shower works well.

cagivachick1, Sep 29, 7:09am
dont you end up with condensation drips all over a flat bit?

harrislucinda, Sep 29, 8:19pm
I just put to fibre glass rods that we laying around in the garage then put a piece of Perspex on top works great no steam and dry walls now and all that was free

acrobat, Sep 29, 11:57pm
You can easily do it yourself. Mark with a felt pen where you may need to trim it, use a fine toothed blade in your jigsaw and cut it to final shape. Just put tape on the acrylic lip first if you're worried about marking. Simple and a 15 minute job to cut and install. Virtually anyone with a DIY interest can install one.

macandrosie, Sep 30, 9:02am
It is easy enough to install so long as everything is nice & square! Our old bathroom didn't turn out to be so perfectly square & it tested hubby's patience - heard a few choice words so I just kept away!

krames, Oct 1, 11:57pm
did the jig saw chip it at all?

fhpottery, Oct 4, 5:15am
That's interesting I might try a bit of perspex first.

franken1, Oct 4, 5:25am
Are you under 5'2" and enjoy having cold water drip on you?

daryl14, Oct 4, 9:22pm
I got a steam stopper at bunnings and used my multitool to trim the edges to fit. Final trim and clean up with a wood plane. pretty easy.

The Jigsaw wanted to throw it around a bit too much and melt the plastic. It also took some chips out of the edge. The hardest part was trying to hold the dome down rigidly enough to cut it.

krames, Oct 4, 11:38pm
did you use a carbide jigsaw blade?Thats what they recomend

daryl14, Sep 11, 12:08pm
Unsure, I have blades for wood and metal. The jigsaw is just an old shitter. My new Bosch multi tool is awesome in comparison.