Gib install/stopping advice for lights/sockets pls

goulscout, Jan 7, 8:01am
I have two concerns regarding putting up gib and stopping it around lights fittings and power points.

Firstly in the ceiling there will be four recessed lights along the tapered edge join. What would be the best way of going about installing lights and stopping the joints. For example I am thinking of running the wiring, then install gib, then stop and then cut holes for lights and fish out wires and hook up the lights!

Secondly the power points will have this same problem on the walls I think. It is in a kitchen and I think they should go about 200 mm off the bench, i.e 1200 mm off the floor, i.e where the 2 sheets of gib will meet.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

kwaka5, Jan 7, 8:35am
for the electrical side of things you should first consult an electrician. If you plan on doing your own wiring then you'll need to get it signed off. Then just install cutt, stop, paint, and get a qualified sparky to connect and liven.

captaingraham, Jan 7, 9:12am
You need an electrician.

goulscout, Jan 7, 9:34am
i have one but they are not doing my gib stopping, the space i am working with is rather limited so it is not just a case of getting in the roof and running wiring the wiring will be installed but not live before the gib is installed, the question i am asking is do i make holes for my downlights through the finished surface or should i some how make the holes then stop the surrounding area.

zak410, Jan 7, 9:44am
stop the joints in the ceilings, then cut the holes for recessed. We have a cool electrician here, so confident of his measures he cut his holes after the painting is done.

for the power points ,mark their positions and also keep the wires in the wall power-box, make a small hole, then stop the gib, then adjust the holes.

goulscout, Jan 7, 9:51am
ok thats cool so making a hole along the joint isn't going to upset anything yay

zak410, Jan 7, 9:55am
no, just use paper tape and let dry very well before drilling.

knowsley, Jan 7, 5:49pm
I agree with Zak, easiest to doing the stopping and then cut the holes. Only thing I wanted to add is that the kitchen benches are usually 900 high, so unless you are installing a higher than normal cabinet, your power points will be 300mm off the bench top.

t_naki, Jan 7, 6:17pm
When you cut them make sure that it is very dry and use a jib saw but only cut on the up stroke so that you don't pull the jointing paper off.

eezy1, Jan 22, 8:52pm
cut the power boxs out first and just run the tape over them,dont put any plaster in the holes and you can see where they are as the tape is loose over the holes,or if they are right on the join just cut half the box out on one sheet only.Down lites are generaly cut out after