Shower dome or not?

Page 1 / 3
springgrove, Jan 28, 10:14am
So what are your thoughts on these domes. Do they work, we are putting in a new shower in our en suite. Your thoughts please.

franken1, Jan 28, 10:34am
You won't regret installing one. They're great.

ed65, Jan 28, 6:30pm
Encouraged by all the fans of shower domes who've posted on here over the last couple of years, we were very keen to get one but got talked out of it by our builder. Instead we installed an extractor fan directly above the shower. We had a professional shower installer put the new shower box in and he was adamant shower domes weren't a good idea either - he said that after a while the acrylic wall liner lifts away from the wall.

We might still get a shower dome as I suspect the extractor fan won't be grunty enough once we head into autumn and winter.

enpointe, Jan 28, 7:15pm
Love, love, love our shower dome.

red2, Jan 28, 7:24pm
they are awesome

franken1, Jan 28, 7:30pm
x1
You need better advice. Our builder also recommended an extractor fan. It turned out to be useless and we had a major condensation issue. Also, how a shower dome can cause the wall liner to come away, has me beat. Listen to people who've had them installed and used them over a period of time, not tradesmen who have never installed or used one.

soph001, Jan 28, 8:59pm
Do it. Goodbye steam, especially if it's a small ensuite.

amasser, Jan 29, 12:32am
As the shower dome relies on being a closed system, won't it be pointless to have both that and the existing fan!

wind.turbine, Jan 29, 12:36am
the shower dome is meant to seal the shower so that no cold air gets in.
cold air causes the steam and condensation, so taking the cold air out of the picture means you want have walls going moldy ect and you also wont need an extractor fan as there will be no steam to extract.

ed65, Jan 29, 1:06am
Just sharing what a guy who installs and fixes showers for a living told me. And I know how the shower domes work but unless someone can design a dome for our bath, we'll still need an extractor fan in the room!

wind.turbine, Jan 29, 1:11am
x1
Simple.take the bath out!
Who uses them things these days anyways!

aloha3, Jan 29, 1:15am
It's wonderful. Highly recommend it. Great for rentals too.

ed65, Jan 29, 1:35am
I know! We built a house once and in the 7 years we lived there, I only ever used the bath for washing curtains. But I always have 're-sale' in the back of my mind so the current (new) bath is staying put.

Everyone raves about how good the shower domes are - but they are just a little bit UGLY don't you think!

wind.turbine, Jan 29, 1:49am
yea I must admit they are ugly

big121, Jan 29, 2:25am
just put one in our house last month. works amazingly and really i dont even notive it to be honest.

russ18, Jan 29, 2:26am
x1
What about cleaning! can you clean on top and reach right to the back!

gilligee, Jan 29, 4:10am
Why! You can't even see the dome easily.

gilligee, Jan 29, 4:11am
Read all the old threads!

gilligee, Jan 29, 4:12am
Damp cloth and a chair. If you are vertically challenged ask someone who is not.

russ18, Jan 29, 6:35am
Was thinking more about the reach to the back than the height, e.g. a 1m x 1m corner shower I would think cleaning the back corner would be difficult.

westie005, Jan 29, 6:42am
Love it. Had one for over 5 years. No steam, no mould, no more cold showers inwinter (large bathroom).I'm 5.4 and using a stool, its no problem to clean and "it's up there" so I don't notice it as being ugly or not.

lindylambchops1, Jan 30, 3:07am
x1
We have a new home & we installed two.They are brilliant.No more water running down walls, no more steamed up mirror.Nice & warm whilst in shower.Not claustrophobic & plenty of room to wash hair etc.Would highly recommend them.You can hardly see them from outside.I use a feather duster on long pole to clean the dust off & just wipe inside.

shaun16, Jan 30, 3:17am
we have an extractor fan with 2 heat lamps and that seems to works fine. ours is a shower and bath in 1, so no way of putting in a shower dome anyway. and i wouldnt get rid of the bath, sometimes you just cant beat a good bath

mansonprincess, Jan 30, 6:07am
best thing we ever did, i have not had to clean mold once since getting it, and i recommend it to everyone

jbsouthland, Jan 30, 6:19am
this .