Shower mixer.how do I get the isolater

voidhawkltd, Jun 21, 4:10am
valve off one of the pipes if it has seized? The valve is busted but I can't get the darn off the cold water hose to replace it. No amount of muscle power has shifted it. Is there some trick to releasing these things that I don't know about because I'm about to smash it was a drill and pull if off in pieces if I can't figure out another way.

Thanks for any helpful ideas.

johotech, Jun 21, 4:41am
More information required. What brand? What has "seized"? Photo?

voidhawkltd, Jun 21, 4:53am
It's a feltonmix 86. It has been installed upside down because the person who did the plumbing has got the hot and cold hoses on the wrong side. We replaced the mixer bit because it was leaking but now the water doesn't mix properly, luke warm at very best.

Attempting to replace the cold valve we broke the wee bit on top that isolates the water (I hope that's the right term) so unless we turn it off at the mains cold water is spurting out the top. I have another valve but I can't get the original one off the hose!

Will go take a photo

voidhawkltd, Jun 21, 4:55am
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/391639189.jpg

The metal bit at the bottom won't turn at all to get it off.

Edited: It was attached to the mixer when we tried to unscrew it, I've just popped it back together while I ponder getting a plumber out lol

zak410, Jun 21, 5:17am
Remove the clips, wire looking clamp. ?

voidhawkltd, Jun 21, 5:25am
Yeah we did that, I've just put it back together so I don't lose any bits!

This was a mighty simple job in my head when I started, 3 hours later and with the mains turned off it's not looking too flash!

budgel, Jun 22, 12:03am
I'm confused about the cold water hose. You may have a bodged installation. Most mixers are plumbed with copper pipe with a crox fitting joining the pipe to the mixer's hot and cold inlets. Undo each croxnut and out comes the mixer once the screws holding it in place are undone.
Being upside down is not an issue, Feltonmix makes their mixers so they can be fitted to suit whichever side the piping is installed, that is why the isolators rotate.

Are you sure the mixer is rated for the same pressure as your system?

voidhawkltd, Jun 22, 12:22am
Yes, I'm sure. It's exactly the same as the one we took out a year or so ago. There are definitely no copper pipes anywhere in the shower cavity, only grey coloured hoses. It would not remotely surprise me that the installation isn't right! Everything in this house seems to have been done in the weirdest most dodgy ways.

subs1, Jun 22, 6:22am
Try unscrewing the FITTING from the nut , not trying to undo the hexagon nut from the fitting . That might work .

voidhawkltd, Dec 9, 1:10pm
Thanks for the suggestions, I think we are making it worse so I've given in and called a plumber.