Cost of wet room shower

nonumbers, Jun 1, 7:33pm
Yes, I know - how long is a piece of string, but has anyone installed one recently and what to look out for. I got quoted over $7K to remove a bath and install a low entry Englefield shower unit which seems a tad excessive. But the bath has to go as I can't get into it as the sides are too high for me access safely.
Thanks

mtbotrev, Jun 1, 8:06pm
Not specifically but we are costing out making an ensuite at the moment and that's looking about $20K.

There will be time to strip what is there, replumb part, reline part and then all the parts involved. maybe even refloor part.

U should enquire as to how the quote is made up. and get another one

nonumbers, Jun 1, 8:27pm
Thanks mbtotrev - yep will definitely need another quote or two and will have to use the local heated swimming pool in the meantime :-))

laspaz, Jun 1, 8:34pm
Any chance of enable picking up the bill if it is a safety and access issue?

nonumbers, Jun 1, 8:37pm
laspaz - that's something I will have to find out once I have moved into the house at the end of the month. I have arthritis not an injury so maybe not . . .

meoldchina, Jun 1, 8:46pm
We have just converted our en suite into a fully-tiled wet room. Be aware that one of the most expensive items is the code of compliance from the Council. Their inspectors made two site visits at $500 each, plus extra for the application.

laspaz, Jun 1, 8:49pm
It does not need to be an injury, but there will be an income and asset test, and it can take a couple of years waiting. So it's an option to weigh up, with it's own shortfalls.

An occupational therapist referral through your GP would be the place to start if you went down this road.

nonumbers, Jun 1, 11:25pm
Blimey - well, hell I can't afford much more than $5K - so I guess It isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Thanks for the replies . . .

laspaz, Dec 26, 1:07pm
FWIW, Enable would have paid around 15-18k for our bathroom to be modified.