Plumbing question

smoth_007, Jan 9, 11:29pm
I have 2 drain waste vents on my property. Both of them are PVC and don't have any caps on them. both are 100mm PVC. They were both done in 1986 when an extension was added and a new garage was built.

The first one is at the back of the external garage, where the laundry is located. No toilet here. The pipe comes up 870mm.

The other one is near the wall of the house (behind the toilet) and under the eaves. It goes up about 2000mm it then stops for about 500mm, continues through the eaves and roof (Flat roof) for about 600mm. Not sure if this was cut or if it's a separate pipe.

All I want to know is: Am I able to shorten these and/or put caps/cowls on them? I'm just looking at tidying everything up.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

trade4us2, Jan 10, 6:52am
If they are venting a toilet, there's the most ghastly smell coming out of them. I believe they are required to be sticking above the roof and definitely not near a window.
When I was painting my house I put half a Coke bottle over the vent so it wasn't so smelly. The caps (with small holes in them) would stop birds and rubbish falling into them.

hammer23, Jan 10, 11:24am
You can buy vented caps that will fit but the one in the laundry may be there to drop the washing machine hose down rather than discharge. into the tub

raven71, Jan 10, 8:44pm
You shouldn't shorten them: they're meant to be 600 mm above the eaves minimum.

newtec1, Jan 10, 9:04pm
Just put a vent cap on as others have said.They are that long for a reason

smoth_007, Jun 11, 4:48pm
Thanks for the replies!