Want to do some DIY plumbing

christopher53, Apr 1, 4:07am
I have just recently been given a dishwasher and the kitchen is not set up tohave a dishwasher. I need to put in a water inlet and an electrical plug. Has anyone done this before and are there any traps I should look out for. The water pipes under the house are butylin and easy to get to. Is this an easy DIY or do I have to call an expensive plumber and electrician

kateley, Apr 1, 4:13am
when I got my cupboard adapted to fit in a dishwasher, the handyman put the plumbing fittings in.I drilled a wee hole in the side of the cupboard closest to an available hotpoint and plugged it in there.
The plumbers and electricians that I got to quote the job all wanted about $1500 each.Handyman charged me about $300 to do all the work.

muzzaandmich, Apr 1, 4:15am
You have answered your own question
Call the plumber and sparky .
Water water everywhere not a drop to drink
Our old friend electricitythe invisible villan
One mistake and its all over .

pisces47, Apr 1, 5:31am
Simple DIY project.No need to pay the earth for a simple job.Go to Plumbing shop or Mitre or Bunnings and ask their advice.Not a problem if you are handy with tools and have common sense.

captaingraham, Apr 1, 5:53am
No honest electrician would even consider quoting $1500 to instal a socket for a dishwasher. He was either a thief or a wanker. Handy man is not qualified or permitted to do the electrical work. No compliance certificate means no insurance in the event of an insurance claim.

t_naki, Apr 1, 6:37am
Except that you need to be registered to do both the plumbing and the electrical work.

carter19, Apr 1, 6:41am
And the licensed tradesman has to pay at least $1000 per year EVERY year just to be able to work. More if he has 2 or 3 licenses ie Plumbing, drainlaying, gasfitting

kateley, Apr 1, 8:01am
I got quotes from at least 2 electricians, both around that price.Handyman didn't do any electrical work, the power lead from the dishwasher was fed through a hole (I drilled) in the cupboard wall and plugged into an existing socket.

kateley, Apr 1, 8:03am
sorry, remembered that it was just the drain hose that the handyman connected, there was already a dishwasher tap under the sink.

russ18, Apr 1, 8:12am
So there was already a socket there but you got at least two electricians around to quote what! plugging in the dishwasher for you! and they both quoted around $1500!. that really doesn't make sense.

lythande1, Apr 1, 6:55pm
$1500! Sounds dodgy.husband has installed dishwashers, nothing ever more than $200 - and that if a involved job.
You can hook it into the existing plumbing (ie sink). If you need new power, well you would need an electrician then.

kateley, Apr 1, 8:35pm
after getting the quotes, I decided not to get an electrician to install a new socket inside the new cupboard as it was too expensive.My 'DIY' solution was to make a hole and thread the cord through to reach an existing socket.

kateley, Apr 1, 8:37pm
Yes, I thought it was dodgy too, and that's why I didn't go with any of these tradesmen.
My thoughts at the time were that they couldn't really be bothered doing such a small job so made extravagant quotes just in case I was an idiot.Either that, or they were just blatantly trying to take advantage of the fact that I'm a middle aged woman living alone

trade_menow, Apr 1, 11:11pm
must have been a big hole to fit the plug throu - or did you chop the plug and rewire another on !

kateley, May 6, 6:13pm
big hole