Before installing solar hot water system

kaddiew, Nov 20, 6:36pm
think of all the extra bits that can fail. Five year old system here, manufacturer bought out and no parts available, $2300 repair bill.

aloha3, Nov 21, 8:28am
thanks for the heads up

kaddiew, Nov 21, 7:30pm
Was still debating what to do, did some detective work yest and THINK I've found the parts myself, that the plumber was told weren't available. Will be a huge saving for me IF I'm right.

trade4us2, Nov 21, 10:28pm
I'd recommend basic copper or stainless steel pipes enclosed in a flat sheet of glass. That can be fixed for ever. It's not necessary to have the most efficient panel per area unless you are putting it on the Space Station.
What is important is the maximum hot water for the price. I like the idea of a large coil of black plastic pipe, but maybe it won't last long enough!

aredwood, Nov 22, 5:10am
What part broke! Im a Plumber myself therefore curious.

kaddiew, Nov 13, 7:06pm
Apart from the tempering valve which had to replaced which I know can happen anyway, the pump inside the solar controller case failed/jammed on, and the return valve (whatever that is) wasn't holding. Was told if one thing failed in the controller, the whole controller was kaput. So 5 weeks on my plumber has found a new higher tech controller with separate pump etc, at considerable cost for parts & labour. I don't begrudge labour, but.I've discovered for myself that parts do still exist and have bought just the pump (not bad for a girl!). Won't know till installed & tested if that solves everything.