Is there a tool for finding live wires behind Gib?

j96, Oct 18, 9:06pm
im being told no such thing exists but i find that very hard to believe

r.g.nixon, Oct 18, 9:10pm
A sledgehammer?

snoopy221, Oct 18, 9:12pm
phone wires. lol?
Yip

j96, Oct 18, 9:15pm
builders have gibbed over the wires without pulling them thru and electrician is trying to find them, lots of holes in the walls and not much luck

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 18, 9:18pm
We used a chainsaw to take out a small wall once. I say 'we' - but it was actually him.

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzT! BANG!

snoopy221, Oct 18, 9:19pm
Keeriky. tell im to go see one of zee chorus mates of his or an auto sparky-if he cannae find one end and ping some low volts on it and use a **toner**
zen *E* ain't rockin in dis century.

snoopy221, Oct 18, 9:22pm
2 seconds and google.

k

http://www.cablinginstall.com/articles/print/volume-6/issue-3/contents/installation/troubleshooting-residential-and-light-commercial-wiring.html

Toner and probe

The tone test set and inductive probe are among the basic instruments used in a telephone installation. They are used together to identify where particular wires are located, broken, or terminated in a horizontal cable run. A tone test set generates a tone that is transmitted down a wire; the inductive probe is used to detect the tone and identify the wire carrying it. The probe is said to be inductive because it can detect tones without actually connecting to the wires under test. This capability is useful for tracing wire and cable circuits, as well as for locating faults, even through drywall or within large cable bundles.

j96, Oct 18, 9:49pm
thanks, i blimmin knew there would be something

wembley1, Oct 18, 10:28pm
A "volt stick" will tell you whether a wire is live or not but I'm not sure whether it can reach through gib board or not.

PS This stud finder purports to find live wires as well
https://www.jaycar.co.nz/3-in-1-stud-detector-with-laser-level/p/QP2288

hammer23, Oct 18, 10:28pm
Dumb and lazy builders who should wear the cost of making good. I have seen it happen on jobs and there is no easy way to find the plugs.You can have a guess where you think the cables should come out and and drive a 4inch nail in feeling for the flush boxes or dwangs.Other than that it is superman and his xray vision

johotech, Oct 18, 10:31pm

captaingraham, Oct 18, 10:56pm
Those builders are bloody useless, AND, the sparky should have marked the locations on the floor.

johotech, Oct 18, 11:05pm
Did you see how much paint is on the floor in my photo? That room was masked because it's a bathroom. But none of the other rooms were masked.

It's not unusual for a few to get gibbed over. Last small job, the builder gibbed over about 3 I think.

trade4us2, Oct 19, 1:30am
If you turn a transistor radio to AM and off station, it should make a noise when near live wiring.

vivac, Oct 19, 5:03pm
Builders did that to me, lined outside walls of a house and didnt cut out any of the 9 flush boxes, when i turned up it was finished, plastered painted and all. With the help of a couple of the homeowners photos and my memory i hit all of them, only had to move one flush box for a light switch near a bed up 10mm.
It can be done.

vivac, Oct 19, 5:03pm
Not practical to mark them on the floor in most instances.

captaingraham, Oct 19, 7:49pm
Worked for me every time as long as the painter was was a tradesman, not a spray cowboy.

hulloitsme, Oct 20, 8:11am
I've found a stud-finder locates hidden cables quite well. Also handy for locating nails hidden under paint.

mush13, Mar 2, 6:52pm
Certain stud finders will locate wires, the depth they can do this varys, some will even tell you if the wire is live.