Washing machine Slow Filling

lythande1, May 12, 8:32am
I have had this for nearly 2 years. Now we know about the filters in the hose ends, removed them ages ago. BUt it would still take an age to fill. We're on mains pressure too, so not a rural tank water issue.
So now finally found out why.
Small plastic plug in the washing machine, wehere the hoses connect. It has a black washer surrounding a small pointy bit, and this is what allows the water in. Removed them and OMG the difference. It fills in a couple of minutes now, like a waterblaster.

Why must the designers do this stupidity?
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/789043530.jpg

flier3, May 12, 9:30am
I can see the face in the ruined top of the washer bit!

amasser, May 12, 9:32am
You should contact the manufacturer and advise them of the problem.

harrislucinda, May 12, 10:59am
thats men for you

pauldw, May 12, 11:44am
2 reasons I've found for flow restrictors so far that may or may not apply in all cases.
If the water pressure is too high the water squirting into the detergent drawer spills over into adjacent compartments.
If the machine has flood safe hoses there has to be some restriction in normal condition compared with burst hose.
There may be other timing issues where the program monitors the water fill.
The installation instructions may have listed when to remove them but who reads those :-)

trade4us2, May 12, 11:50am
It would still need a filter to stop rubbish in the water blocking the valve.
Does the water shut off at all now?

lythande1, May 12, 2:05pm
There is no "detergent drawer".
It has no "flood safe" hoses.
Nope the timing is perfect, I timed it. Now it is, before it was total crap.

Rubbish? Come on, there are filters in your plumbing already. Think about it, you want the gunk in that wee bit of mesh? And then water is even more restricted.

Nope, sorry, it's just designer BS

trade4us2, May 12, 2:42pm
In the washing machines that I have worked on, there is a solenoid with a pin that closes a tiny hole. When water is needed, the pin moves away from the hole. If there's any crap in the water, that could block the tiny hole. So a mesh filter is needed.

tweake, May 12, 4:27pm
the filters are last ditch protection from the manufacture. no warranty if they are removed.
the restrictors can be removed. however be careful, i do recall issues with some machines that had high water pressure.

bad design ? well then its been bad for the last 30 years.
there will be a reason for the restrictors. manufactures don't like to waste $ on parts that they do not need.

lythande1, May 12, 5:37pm
You think? I worked at F&P once. The engineers often had different opinions.

bill1451, May 12, 8:05pm
see what its like after a couple of years, when that tiny hole in the solenoid blocks up

lythande1, May 13, 7:56am
You don't know much about plumbing do you? Husband was one.
Blocks up from what. No forget it, not going to explain about the pipes to you

pauldw, May 13, 10:46am
This is a good explanation of how a typical washing machine valve works and the small pressure equalising hole in the diaphram.
http://www.albertalaundry.com/knowledge-hub/2017/04/04/how-to-fix-inlet-valve-washing-machine/#
The mesh on the hose filters is finer than the mesh in an inline pipe filter. If the washing machine tap is at the end of the run you can get bits of teflon tape after other work is done that the outside filter won't stop. The hose filters will be slower to block up if the dome faces the water flow.

rainrain1, Nov 11, 7:46am
Yep, I was told to remove those once, made a huge difference