Anyone here killed tobacco weed by ring barking ?

khayyam, Apr 1, 1:08pm
and if so, how long did it take ?

maclad, Apr 1, 1:17pm
How big is it? Unless done very low down and even then it most likely it will reshoot and grow again. Best dug out or cut and poisoned.

khayyam, Apr 1, 2:51pm
Have a heap in the native reserve next to us. I have ring barked them all except one as a bit of an experiment - they're all about 5-7 metres tall and about 100 to 200 mms in diametre - I ring barked them all from the ground up going up about 300 mms wide 2 weeks ago - within a week they all seemed to have gone "droopy" and today some leaves have gone yellow - so here's hopeing ! I was under the impression that ring barking took months (if not years) to show effects ? (I don't think I'm imagining things as I left one untouched as "an control" which seems good as gold.).

maclad, Apr 1, 3:43pm
If you ring bark them deeply enough you destroy the mechanisims by which food and water are transported round the tree so it does work. I would like to know if, next spring, they regrow from the ground as I suspect they will.
Shame you have them on a native reserve, we do not have many at work but EBOP makes sure we remove them, disgraceful that government bodies let them grow like this. Tauranga City Council are shocking too. So many nasty weedy even "banned" plants growing in their reserves and on the roadside plantings.
And as for Maori owned land, I asked EBOP why they owners were not made to remove their banned weeds, which seed over onto our 44 hectares, so a big problem. It is because of the multiple ownership and no one person can be held answerable and it is hard to get all the owners to take responsibility.

shanreagh, Apr 2, 12:45pm
Interesting that in this advice from Whangarei ring barking does not seem to be a recommended way of controlling this pest weed. Possibly because ring barking may take quite a while and the tree lives long enough to produce more flowers and seedlings.

trade4us2, Apr 2, 1:15pm
That would be: Woolly Nightshade?

shanreagh, Apr 2, 1:19pm

khayyam, Apr 2, 3:36pm
Yeah I'd seen that too when googling about control of it and NRC own the reserve next to us LOL . Interesting too that they recommended mechanical removal of big plants/trees I'm guessing by draindigger ? Was going to go the drill holes and tordon/roundup way but mate of partner said ringbarking would do it and it seemed alot less work (was very easy to do). Hope it works !

scruff71, Apr 2, 5:54pm
Yes. I agree with maclad. Cut down and paint stump with Amitrole. Best done before flowering.

maclad, Apr 2, 6:12pm
Thank you cos I know the stump will just resprout and grow again. Do it once, do it right.

grrrahaaam, Apr 2, 7:07pm
I would imagine ring barking would kill fairly rapidly, its like cutting off the flow of water and nutrients between ground and foliage. But regrowth from the stump could be a problem. Has anyone tried spraying the bark with a brush killer, sort of chemical ring barking? I would guess ring barking and following up by spraying the regrowth with a brush killer would kill it.

khayyam, Apr 3, 6:40pm
Thanks for your thoughts. V Interesting. I'm assuming that the roots will sprout again and again until all energy in them is used up. if I keep on chopping off any sprouts that do form and not allow any photosynthesis to occur wouldn't the roots die ? ie: I just have to out wait the nutrients/energy left in the roots ?

maclad, Apr 3, 6:56pm
It is not the roots that regrow, it is all the little buds on the base of the remaining trunk, which you cannot see, that are encouraged to shoot because of the "pruning". Why not just do it right, cut down and poison fresh cut almost immediately and it should die or get very sick. Far quicker and easier than removing shoots which could take a long time to be effective.

scruff71, Apr 6, 6:10pm
It worked for me, maclad. A fresh cut then instant application of a strong systemic weedkiller such as Woody Weedkiller or Amitrole. The poison translocates easily into the soft layers and would stop regeneration at the roots. Any regrowth around the site would be only if it has been allowed to flower.

cleggyboy, Apr 6, 6:13pm
I had some come up here, it was too large to dig out so I chopped off at ground level, it never came back.

tegretol, Apr 6, 6:25pm
Tordon 2G granules. Open up a wound with and axe and pour some granules in. Within 48hrs, you'lll see them karking.

bashfulbro, Apr 9, 3:15pm
People need to get really serious about this disgusting weed. It is rapidly, destroying the landscape in Auckland, and surrounding areas, take a look on Waiheke Island,if you need proof of how rapidly it spreads and spoils natural beauty, far worse than gorse.
The sorry thing, is most of it thrives, and propagates on Council owned land.
Councils are quick to threaten land owners, about it growing on private land, but slow to do anything about it themselves.
A few years ago, in the former Franklin District Council, a big property owner was warned many times, before council contractors moved in and cleared it for him, then sent a bill for $40,000.
Sadly, since Auckland council took over, Wooly Nightshade is again thriving in all the Council parks and reserves.

mrcat1, Apr 9, 8:02pm
Just use Tordan XT brushkiller or Glysophate, they will both knock them over fairly quickly.
If you are going to muck around and ring bark them, you may as well just run a chainsaw straight thru them and tip them over, and then just use spray on the new shoots to bowl it over, not really rocket science.

grrrahaaam, Apr 9, 9:48pm
The bigger plants (4 or 5 meters tall ?) are hard to get good spray coverage especially, in scrub, on sidlings etc,,, Thats why I asked earlier if any one has tried spraying the bark with a brush killer. Under the tree it is easy to spray the trunk for several meters.

mrcat1, Nov 27, 2:19pm
Just cut them off with a saw and the spray any regrowth.
I spray them regularly with a bike sprayer and i just adjust the nozzle to a jet and give the leaves a good spray, they always tip over.