Silver Dollar Gum Tree

bevan1, Jun 4, 9:51pm
Does anyone know where I can buy a Silver Dollar Gum tree (Eucalyptus Cinerea) in Auckland.?

mlarkin, Jun 5, 8:07pm
DON[T! They cause huge problems with their roots getting into drains. Not only that they shed branches etc willy nilly - messy trees all round. They were popular in the 1970;s in new subdivisions because they grew quickly etc. The problems grew with the growth! Capricorngirl

happychappy50, Jun 5, 8:37pm
I remember my parents had one,it has a very shallow root system . common for most gums,it was always getting blown over & as a consequence had to be staked.Eventually got pulled out

Agree great looking tree however not without it’s problems

kacy5, Jun 5, 9:05pm
Loved mine and never had problems with it, must have been in a good spot. A pity I couldn't take it when I moved.

lythande1, Jun 6, 9:03am
Fads come and go over time and some linger on such as Silver Dollar trees and garden gnomes.

Recently I came across a Silver Dollar tree, bringing back memories of a time when these trees were really popular.

The tree was Eucalyptus cinerea. A fast growing specimen that can grow up to six metres in a year. This tree’s form is somewhat irregular growing almost as wide as its 20 to 50 foot height.

Eucalyptus cinerea

Young round leaves are up to 2 inches in diameter which grow longer as they mature. With barely noticeable flowers, this tree is usually grown for its attractive foliage. The foliage of nearly all species has a strong pungent odour similar to menthol. Well drained soil is preferable.

The tree was likely popular because of its fast growth but this also was its main disadvantage as the growth was soft and branches would be easily damaged by stronger winds.

http://blog.landscapedesign.co.nz/gardening-advice/wally-richards-gardening-fads/archives/2846/

Yes. Don't.

bevan1, Jun 6, 9:47am
Brilliant. Will definitely plant one (when I find one for sale).

amasser, Jun 6, 11:01am
Was it also bad for sucking all the moisture out of the ground?

gilligee, Jun 6, 7:14pm
Great for floral arrangements.

mojo49, Jun 6, 7:22pm
Had one in family home in West Auckland 60 years ago. It lifted the concrete block front fence and then the bloody driveway. Like so much from Australia, very attractive but total menace.

hammer23, Jun 8, 10:27am
I also had one,the roots weren't a problem where it was but one day the wind snapped off a branch which could have killed some one. It was last seen in the fire keeping the family warm. And that is the story of the the silver dollar gum tree that is no more.

flier3, Jun 8, 10:46am
Had a huge one cut down last year after half of it split in a storm. Bark 'sculpture' was amazing each year though.

pisces47, Jun 9, 7:53am
In the last big storm a big silver dollar tree blew over over the road from us by Massey High. Damaged the house it fell on. As said, the roots were only about a meter deep but the tree was around 35 m high

pauldw, Jun 9, 9:00am
If it was 35m high it was probably Eucalyptus Polyanthemos that has similar leaves but grows much taller.

gph1961, Jun 9, 8:36pm
fixed our tree about 1m above ground

golfdiver, Jun 9, 8:58pm
We had one in the orchard near our house growing up. Lovely smell and spectacular colours. Trees are terrific, just not near houses

ricp, Oct 31, 11:45am
'Baby Blue' is the best variety - it stays a bit more compact and keeps a good colour