Kaffir lime tree

korbo, May 1, 4:04pm
I see a lot of recipes call for Kaffir leaves. thinking of putting a plant in. how big do they grow. could I grow one in a pot.thx

geldof, May 1, 6:48pm
I've had one in a tub for about 10 years. Not sure how big they grow when planted, but you never need very many leaves and the fruit is inedible so a tub does me fine. (Just be kind and feed it )

mark_g, May 1, 7:44pm
For me the kaffir has been a bit of a slow grower, but it's healthy. Mine has been in the ground 7 years and is 1.5m x 1.2m.

Can use the fruit in lime pickle and other recipes.

speeedy1, May 1, 7:54pm
Our Kaffir lime is grown in ground. Despite or because of my neglect, ours grows well and needs regular pruning.
As well as being used in cooking dishes, I use the crushed leaves as a pot pouri(?). I have read that the juice from the fruit can be used as a hair tonic; can anyone verify this?

meoldchina, May 1, 10:06pm
I was given a Kaffir Lime tree in a terracotta pot as a housewarming present and it never outgrew the pot in the ten years I had it, BUT, they do not like wind, so keep it in a sheltered area.

harm_less, May 1, 10:22pm
Slice the fruit and put them into Thai curries for some extra punch, but don't actually eat them after it's cooked as they're still a bit sharp tasting.

dreamers, May 1, 10:33pm
I slice the fruit and put it in the dishwasher,smells lovely when you open the door.

tinabops, May 2, 8:26am
They will grow fine in a pot, ours was there for 12 years. Shifted house and decided to plant it in the ground. Too windy and it looked very sad so we replanted in a sheltered area, now doing extremely well. Just prune to keep it to height and width you want.
Zest the fruit skin into your curries. I dont use the juice. I have given the fruit to my Indian friends who tell me they use it to wash their hair with.

taurus2005, May 4, 12:21pm
Mines been in a pot for years. Very slow grower but then I only need 3 to 4 leaves for my curries every couple of weeks. Best investment ever as the leaves give a real authentic thai taste.

korbo, Nov 14, 9:17pm
thank you. off to the plant shop to buy