Washing thermal backed calico curtains?

clementine4, Apr 26, 11:28pm
Washing thermal backed calico curtains? Does anyone have any tips on what is the way to do this. I seem to remember it is important not to let the thermal linings touch together when wet as they stick and when pulled apart take the thermal lining off. Wool or normal washing powder, warm wash? Any ideas appreciated. Thank you.

pleco, Apr 27, 5:10am
I would hand wash in the bath and hang dripping wet on clothes line. If they were spun in the machine the backing would definitely be ruined.

mrfxit, Apr 27, 6:40am
Theres the trick.
Wash in a std machine with std amount of powder.
DON'T LET IT SPIN
Let it drain but STOP the Spin cycle
Pull the curtains out from the final rinse water & hang up as per normal

articferrit, Apr 27, 6:53am
Wash them for the shortest time possible to get them clean, hang them up dripping wet not in hot sun, hang them flat, from the top heading tape, with quite a few pegs and definitely do not let the backing material touch any other part of the backing material while its drying. They can shrink if you overdo the soaking/washing/sun part, but you dont need to be paranoid either just careful.

carter19, Apr 27, 12:25pm
I took my 8 year old, a bit mouldy, sun split backing thermals to the laundramat a few weeks ago. They were far too heavy to wash in the bath. No trouble with sticking etc. they turned out perfectly. I ironed them whn i hung them up. I figure they were awful now, wouldnt last much longer anyway, so if the laundramat ruined them nothing lost. So glad I did.

amph981, Nov 19, 11:00pm
As above I also wash my curtains in the bath, agitate them like crushing wine grapes ( foot stomping ) and hang on line to drip dry. I can't bend over the bath so stomp them.