Neighbour's tree

crazynana, Jan 21, 4:33pm
We had the same problem but the neighbour cut the tree down. It was too close to the fence. And lo and behold they planted a new tree and you guessed it. right up against the fence again and now we have the same problem. The number of people who plant large trees close to the boundary with not thought of the growth and size is really astounding.

sumstyle, Jan 21, 4:33pm
1. Your photo link doesn't work
2. Are you offering to help with costs if they agree to removing the tree?
3. Have you live on your property longer than the tree has lived on theirs?

sossie1, Jan 21, 4:42pm
Just go and talk to the neighbours first to gauge their reaction. There are "rules" about boundary and vegetation, but sometimes they can be solved by both parties getting together, having a few cold beers and a mutual pruning day.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 21, 4:44pm
Glorious trees, especially in areas where a chill can colour them up. The leaves make great compost and mulch too.

cleggyboy, Jan 21, 4:48pm
One piece of ammo that is worth mentioning to your neighbour is the risk of rats getting into the ceiling via the roof. I had this happen at my place, they climbed up a Auzzie bottlebrush, under the iron and ripped all the polystyrene into beads in the back of my heat pump unit, it cost me heaps to get that sorted, so yes, don't let anything like that happen.

pico42, Jan 21, 11:50pm
That’s not quite correct.
There was a change to the law a decade or two ago that clarified the ownership of such cuttings as being the property of the trees owner, and that cuttings must be returned to the owner if required. This was down to account for situations where the cuttings might have some value to the owner, perhaps a nice timber, or fruit bearing, or good for cuttings or blooms.
I recall at the time that the joke “you can just throw the cuttings back over the fence” did the rounds, and even accompanied reporting on the law change.
But this does not mean you are to just deposit the cuttings on their property.

amasser, Jan 23, 12:47pm
2/ Not poster's responsibility and, by the poster's evidence, the neighbour probably has no choice but to remove it.
3/ Irrelevant - tree grows and nuisance increases. If it didn't bother the previous occupant is also irrelevant.

bill1451, Jan 23, 10:33pm
get three tools, battery drill, very small drill bit , hypodermic syringe (available
in "electronics" on t/me.drill hole in tree, preferably when they are away,
insert poison via hypodermic syringe.

mack77, Jan 23, 10:44pm
This is probably the only way to solve the problem if the neighbor won't remove the tree. If you have to go through the legal system it will cost you thousands of dollars.

finelawns, Jan 23, 10:55pm
You can’t go throwing branches and leaves back over the neighbours fence if your cutting down parts of the tree on your property that is a illegal activity. I have a neighbour whom cuts and trims their trees growing on their property then throws them over the fence on to my property for me to deal with they get abusive if I hand them back. It’s a funny old world neighbours trees.

peacebird15, Jan 23, 11:02pm
Will cost a lot more than just thousands if your charged with it, trees have an amenity value, the tree alone is probably going to be around a 10k bill if there lawyer is worth his salt, and then there are the criminal charges and other neighbours thinking the poisoner as a vandal of others property. Dumb move really

delshamic, Jan 24, 7:17pm
neighbours trees. neighbours dogs. neighbours music. neighbours kids. life is so hard with neighbours

monsieurl, Jan 24, 9:15pm
Unless caught in the act no one will know, esp with some dirt rubbed in the drill holes.

peacebird15, Jan 24, 9:41pm
Yeah, thats why jails are full of people who thought they were to smart to get caught

Im an arborist, its REALLY easy to spot poisoning even if the holes are filled in or the roots are poisoned, and its painfully obvious 95% of the time who is responsible.

Ends up in court, and gets really expensive

amph981, Jan 27, 4:54pm
My neighbours have trimmed back all their trees on my boundary, I wont be getting any feijoas, kafir limes or nashi pears this year, bah humbug, but before that happened there was a moth plant growing up one tree and I now have seedlings appearing everywhere. I love seeing the trees but they do cause problems, I have one that needs trimming but it is so expensive and I am too old to do it myself.

hidecote01, Jan 27, 5:23pm
My problem with my neighbours tree is that is a flowering cherry with suckering roots that are all through my shingle drive and into my garden and lawn. They travel so far and I am worried they are under the house.

deendon1, Jan 27, 5:51pm
I don't know why people are like this, we had a tree neighbour wanted it trimming, we ended up cutting it down.

Why the passive aggressive disagreement with neighbours I just don't get it?

Some people just thrive on self created drama by being 'difficult' with the neighbours, we had a guy who lives up the road just told us he had to leave his car without using it (it is a second) right outside our drive because his wife would need it in 2 weeks

same sentence he asked us to contribute to some work he wants to do to his property of no benefit to us

yeah, uh like no

tegretol, Jan 27, 5:57pm
Go see your local council first and establish the rules there. Likey to be a max height of 6m and certainly not hanging over the boundary.

Then go spend $100 on a decent lawyers letter pointing out these rules and inviting them to correct the situation.

My money is 10:1 that they'll comply.

If they don't then sue them thru the Disputes Tribunal for "Loss of Amenity" $12000. Again, I'd bet 10:1 that they'll fix the issue.

tinabops, Jan 31, 9:43am
Neighbour asked us if they could cut the branches off our conifer tree that were hanging over onto their property. Yip sure. However when we returned they had come onto our property and cut all the branches to the trunk and to about 2 metres from the ground. Like WTF.
Lucky I was able to soothe the old hubby and keep him inside for the sake of keeping a peaceful neighbourhood. I have put huge pot plants their to try and minimise the exposed area they have created, AND for some privacy.

colin433, Jan 1, 4:50pm
backing_black wrote:
Sounds like chestnuts, if they are super bushy prickly, not just a few prickles they will be eating ones not horse chestnuts which will kill you. Could make some money .

OP is right, it's not chestnut. LA's have those prickly things, I've seen them at my parents'