I'm going to shift a young quince tree

venna2, Jun 12, 4:08pm
I bought a quince sapling a year or two ago and planted it in the wrong place where it gets a lot of wind. I'm going to move it to a more sheltered spot.

What do you suggest placing in the hole, to give it the best new start? Compost and/or something else? Any special requirementw?

golfdiver, Jun 12, 4:18pm
Quince tree? I know where I'd shift it to. The wood pile next to the brazier. Hate em

venna2, Jun 12, 4:57pm
Oh well, this is my first! I ate quince for the first time not so long ago too - a friend gave me some and I made a quince tart. I liked it!

maclad, Jun 12, 5:13pm
Good for you I like them as well. Ignore the negative ones, replant and enjoy your quince. Lovely flavours and pretty much troublefree tree as far as I can see. There should be no issues at all with digging this tree up, as it is so young, and replanting it. Just dig a big hole, make sure all the rubbish soil from hole is discarded, refill with topsoil, compost and fertilizer, slow release. Mix it all together well and replant your quince. It really is that simple at this time of year

delshamic, Jun 13, 4:15pm
stewed apples with a few quince in the mix. yum

oh_hunnihunni, Jun 13, 4:55pm
I have one in a pot, it has been tortured, abused, and mistreated and it still leafs up each year for me. I think you are pretty safe to just follow maclad's advice. It is what I intend doing one day soon.

oh_hunnihunni, Jun 13, 4:57pm
Quince paste.

venna2, Jun 13, 4:58pm
Thanks all. I've ordered some ZOO Doo compost, sheep pellets and coffee grounds (not all for the quince tree but I like Zoo Doo and haven't bought any for some time). I'm hoping to find a good new place for it tomorrow if the weather's not too cold and wet.

katie232, Jun 13, 6:53pm
I have a Quince tree could be 40 years old, good fruiter, no maintenance, lovely tree.

woody89, Oct 31, 4:56pm
Beautiful trees, have a nice shape, gorgeous flowers & lovely spring growth. Quite hardy. I shifted a reasonably large one last spring/summer. Gave it a bit of a haircut, had the hole pre dug & then dug out the tree using a digger to try & take as much of the root system as possible. Dropped it in with slow release fert tabs, back filled, mulched & watered well. Made sure it was watered over summer & so far it seems ok! Have had seedlings pop up here & there & they shift alright too.