What to put on weed mat

trade4us2, Aug 13, 11:12am
I have a couple of paths that I want to put weed mat on. I don't want to put bark on top as all kinds of nasties live in that, and eventually weeds would grow in the bark.
I was thinking of putting shell on top, hoping that it won't slide around too much. There will be scoria underneath on one path, over a slotted drain.
I have used limestone but I think that would move around too much.

dibble35, Aug 13, 5:50pm
What about pavers down the middle with shell around them. or just good old (road type) metal

gpg58, Aug 13, 6:30pm
In my experience, weed mat is crap, many types of weeds just grow thru it, worse they are then nasty to remove as they are tangled in it, whereas a DEEP cover of anything, is easy to pull them out.

tegretol, Aug 13, 6:57pm
This will fix your problems for at least 12 months: http://www.orionagriscience.co.nz/herbicides/terminator-g4

trade4us2, Aug 13, 7:04pm
The paths are just around the side and back of the house. I usually walk on them when I need to paint the house, so I don't need pavers.
I have weed mat along one side that weeds are not growing through, but soil has fallen on top and is growing weeds.

pauline999, Aug 14, 4:31pm
I tried using shell on a pathway once. And every cat in the area used it like a litter tray.

colin433, Aug 18, 5:41pm
If you want to walk on it bare foot, don't use shell, Worst thing we ever did. Your feet will be cut to ribbons.
We have limestone chips without weedmat. Never had trouble with weeds, just needs a spray occasionally, but we have pavers to walk on, otherwise that may be hard to walk on with bare feet also.

moppy26, Sep 11, 1:15pm
Who sells limestone chips and what price roughly?

articferrit, Sep 28, 3:44am
What about using rounds of wood as pavers with limestone, etc around them?, easier to walk on, and keep the weeds down.