Painting ceramic wall tiles

lancslass, Nov 6, 7:20am
Has anyone painted ceramic wall tiles in a kitchen, if so, how successful was it, are you happy with how it turned out. Any Tips.

amasser, Nov 6, 11:16am
I think that it has been shown on 'Better Homes And Gardens'. As that is an Australian TV show, it might not have arrived in New Zealand yet. Ask at Bunnings as they sponsor the show.

rednicnz, Nov 6, 12:20pm
Did it and it lasted a few years until I was cashed up enough to redo the kitchen. You need to ensure they're clean and use the right primer. I used Aquaenamel for the top coat. If there's any raised patterning on the tile, it will show through. Mine were mottled cream but flat and looked great white!

dibble35, Nov 6, 7:06pm
I did mine 1 1/2 years ago. Bunnings have the proper tile undercoat which you use after a really really good cleaning, they also stocked the tile cleaner which i used to remove any grease on the tiles and grout. It was relatively easy and it still looks really good. I had small brown i think original tiles from when the house was built - 1965, or they could possibly have been from the '70s - they were pretty bad. I painted them bright red and although the colour was a bit bright at first I love it now. Never had any problems with it so I guess I prepared the surface well.

lancslass, Nov 7, 6:58am
Thanks will give it a go, as you say prep is everything.

koru67, Feb 18, 2:13pm
Ours wouldn't come off the wall so instead of repainting I tiled over top. That was about 8-9 years ago and no problems at all. I used a no more nails type product, regrouted and put a wider trim strip along the top.