"Help please" anybody know how to get rid of this

Page 2 / 2
stevo2, Mar 30, 6:35am
We have just been through this at work.
After seeking professional advice, we dug a trench down the boundary 600 deep and laid a double thickness of builders polythene the full depth, backfilled it and then we then poured a nice wide mowing strip over top.

summersunnz, Mar 30, 8:02am
We have it here too and it's green all year round, still with growth needing edges spraying in winter too.

tweake, Mar 30, 8:31am
your either in one warm winter spot or it simply isn't a kikuyu lawn.

what common here is lawns are a mix of kikuyu and weeds/grasses (paspalum), anything that can live under a very low mower height. kikuyu dies back in winter but lawn stays greenish due to everything else.
neighbors paddock however is just a sea of brown grass. in winter it looks like someone nuked it with roundup.

digmen1, Mar 30, 7:55pm
YES - I saw a packet of grass sees with Kikiyu in Mitre Ten the other day!
The company that does that should be shot.

digmen1, Mar 30, 7:58pm
I HATE kikikyu.

I have just bought a house with a small lawn that is half kikuky and half grass and clover.

I am going to keep lulling it out (and re-seeding) until I win (or I die)

I tried spraying it but the spray kills everything else.

I want a grass lawn not kikyu it looks horrible.

tweake, Mar 31, 4:27am
i'm the same. bought an ex rental. gardens and lawns are crap.
the lawn is stripy, white, brown and green due to the kikuyu. looks horrible.

digmen1, Mar 31, 4:50am
Yes I cannot believe the number of websites that say that kikiyu makes a good lawn, and also that clover is good in your lawn.

Well I know that clover fixes nitrogen, but I like a nice bed of lush grass not clover leaves and the various coloured flowers that come up.

I prefer to put fertiliser on.

tweake, Mar 31, 4:57am
it probably does in areas where nothing else grows!
there are places around here where its actually quite good. it has really really deep roots, so good for very dry areas and good for holding banks etc.

tweake, Mar 31, 5:35am
see if i can get this pic to work

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa314/tweak_e/image001_zps3mgxzuob.jpg

green bit is the recent repair, reseeded about 3 weeks ago. foreground is mostly kiiuyu and paspallam etc. all mowed on sunday.

digmen1, Mar 31, 6:55am
@Tweake.

That new lawn looks great.
How anyone can say that Kikiyu looks nice (except in Africa) i just don't know.
But the trick will be in a year or so to see if the new lawn stays weed free.

tweake, Feb 18, 5:52am
to true. weeds are going to be a constant battle.

fyi that new bit is only temporary, planning to remove and reseed the whole lawn. it needs a lot of flattening out and sorting of slopes for drainage. that new patch has almost 2 cube of new soil in it and its still not enough.