How to retain a stream bank?

jane310567, Mar 16, 10:30pm
Well, its actually a drain next to our house - about a foot wide in some parts and more in others. Since the earthquakes it has narrowed quite a bit and the walls are collapsing. The council is not bothered but we are. Thinking of getting some rocks and shoring it up but think this will be v expensive. Anyone done this - any good websites re "how to"?

nonumbers, Mar 17, 12:01am
Is it on your land or the councils? I had a large storm water drain running through one of my properties and it too had collapsing sides as well as all sorts of garbage.
The council were no help at all so in the end I moved and it became someone else's problem.

trad, Mar 17, 12:17am
Photos would be helpful.

jane310567, Mar 17, 8:38am
nonumbers - not an option for us!
As far as I know its our land but the council have access to it, they come twice a year to make sure it is clear of weeds etc. I will try to get some photos.

aj.2., Mar 17, 8:50am
What length of drain are you dealing with, I suggest you buy some large bore PVC pipe, and install that, that way it will not mater if the sides fall in, but then the question if how much water flows down it , after heavy rain , allow for this.

aj.2., Mar 17, 8:53am
Another way, that is cheap, is to buy some old roofing iron and lay that in the drain, wire the sheets into a U shape, and place each sheet over lapping, by about 300mm.

thistle4, Mar 17, 7:05pm
We put large river stones along the bank of our stream. Asked the council if it was allowed and they said yes, so long as we weren't taking trailer loads.

annies3, Mar 17, 8:44pm
If you know how much water flows down this drain then you can place culvert pipes of the suitable size into the drain and cover it to prevent it collapsing, actually though, if the council come to keep it open and clean then they must consider it their responsibility, so I would just let them know your concerns, ( regularly )

jane310567, Mar 18, 5:38am
We are built too close to it to pipe it as council need access to a piped stream and they would have had us build further away(which in hindsight would have been the way to go for the earthquake!). That was an option before we built tho. Its actually a nice feature if kept tidy. Very little flow - like an inch without rain but can fill with a good rain as run off from the road. The house behind has cemented the walls but this looks yuk. Keen on using rocks I think but am dreading the cost.

sylvia1, Mar 18, 6:58am
We are thinking of using vertiver grass to retain the edges of our pond/Stream. It has roots approx 3 metres and is used in lots of situations needing retaining.
http://www.vetivernurseries.co.nz/

maclad, Mar 18, 7:13am
Fill the whole drain with rocks, just dump them in

trad, Mar 1, 2:53pm
It is the Councils job to keep waterways/drains clear so whatever you want to do, consult them.