How to fix a smelly dish washer

t_naki, Apr 3, 11:03pm
In the last week our dish washer has really started to smell. Does anyone have any simple tips or products that might help us out with it?

biddy6, Apr 3, 11:06pm
Have you cleaned the filters lately?

janbodean, Apr 3, 11:26pm
I have seen dish washer cleaner at our local New World. If you can't find any white vinegar does the trick. Just put a liberal amount in the dishwasher cavity and run on a cycle (empty).

molly37, Apr 5, 7:36pm
Give it a thorough clean, pull out the filter at the bottom and wipe around the rubber on the door. Then put through a dishwasher cleaner purchased at the supermarket.

kateley, Apr 5, 8:32pm
Every now and then I run an empty heavy duty wash with baking soda instead of powder
but you do need to take out the racks, remove the spinning arm thing and take out the bit silver filter and give it a good scrub with hot soapy water

budgel, Apr 5, 9:47pm
Get into the habit of rinsing the dishes before putting into the washer. It is a dishwasher, not a waste disposal unit.

daves01, Apr 5, 10:21pm
Tell her to shower more often!

datoofairy, Apr 5, 10:26pm
Leaving the door open slightly when not in use to let it air out also helps.

tigra, Apr 5, 10:37pm
LOL - Another poster who didn't reset the clocks last night

pettal, Apr 6, 3:51am
Spray the inside of it with "Spay and Wipe" or something along those lines .

smalltrader2, Apr 6, 4:55am
The Dishwasher Cleaner product does work. We have used both Finish and Active brand. Like another poster has said, rinse before putting plates in is a good preventive measure. Use the Dishwasher cleaner every few months will keep the smelly dishwasher under control. The supermarket often has specials on the dishwasher cleaner.

52many, Apr 6, 6:27am
Could not agree more. hubby an appliance tech. I hear it all the time and when you think about it. it's true!

pamow69, Apr 6, 8:08am
Exactlt what I have told many of my customers in the past. Amazing how many never do any cleaning & maintenance on their dishwashers. Never take out and clean the filters. Never unblock the holes in the spray arms and can't seem to see all the grease & soap building up on the door and rubber seal. OP clean all the filters, then run a good dishwasher descaler/degreaser ( Buy from Mitre 10 or a home appliance parts place) through it. May also pay to clean the drain pipes under the sink. Sometimes the smell comes back up from there. Especially if you also use an insinkerator.

paix1, Apr 6, 8:01pm
pamow69 - good advice! I do clean my DW once a week (cleaning filters etc etc), and do rinse dishes. Can you please tell me what brand of drain cleaner you would recommend to clean pipes (I'm not able to unscrew to clean). I stand there in a store staring blankly at all the various drain cleaners & never know which one I should get lol. Thanks muchly! I really like reading your advice (have seen you in other threads).
. oh & SO right your last sentence. When I did have a bit of a smell once, found it came from a bit of lemon that was left in the insinkerator. God, it smelt awful!

cantabman1, Apr 6, 8:38pm
Agrees with above.
It just takes on or two holes in the impellers to block up to cause a poor wash cycle.I also clean out the trap regularly, and run some caustic and bleach through the machine.
Rinsing dishes is a must, but other half doesn't do that, which causes the odd problems

brooksy1, Apr 6, 10:49pm
Used to use the dishwasher cleaner from the supermarket but now use good old-fashioned cloudy ammonia. Turn the dishwasher on an let it run through the pre-rinse cycle, then as it begins to fill for the wash cycle, pause it. Put in a small bowl and pour in the ammonia and hey presto and clean dishwasher.
PS. You must clean the filter regularly.

pamow69, Apr 6, 11:24pm
Hi Paix1the only one I have ever used was Draino. Seemed to work ok. So can't comment on other brands.Keeping the holes in the spray arm clear is a must. Some of the holes point sideways. Water coming out of those holes is what pushes the arm around. If those holes are blocked the arm will not rotate and will only spray on a few dishes. The rest will come out dirty.

datoofairy, Apr 6, 11:30pm
What is the best way to clean the spray arms? I get that I need to poke something into the holes to unblock them, but arent I just pushing the old food back inside the arm, to rot away and re-block the holes? Should I try and prise the arms apart?

pamow69, Apr 7, 5:05am
No do not do that. Don't know why they do not make them so you can open them up. Just poke the stuff back inside and try to shake the stuff down to the centre hole were you can get it out. Takes a bit of doing and several goes to catch it but usually do able.

andrewcg53, Feb 11, 9:50am
Bleach 1lt then do a quick wash