Tap Washer

2xpetes, Jul 7, 9:59am
Hi Do you need to turn water off at street to change a tap washer?Cheers

trade4us2, Jul 7, 10:05am
Normally you do. But if that is not possible, turn on lots of taps elsewhere, and that will minimise the water coming out of the tap.

morrisjvan, Jul 7, 8:27pm
If it is a hot tap you may be able to just turn off the cylinder, or if it has a flexible hose somewhere in the circuit you may be able to squish it with a clamp, but you will need to isolate it somehow.

lythande1, Jul 8, 8:06am
Unless you want water to pour out all over when you take the tap off, yes.

2xpetes, Jul 8, 3:17pm
Where do you turn off hot water?It is a mixer tap.Cheers

johotech, Jul 8, 6:00pm
To do a mixer tap, you'd need to turn off both hot and cold. There might be a tap under the hot water cylinder, or at the gas unit if you have gas.

But mixer taps don't have washers. They have ceramic inserts. If it's a cheap tap, it might be easier to just replace it. If it's a better one like Methven or Greens, or some plumbing outlet brands, there might be parts available.

As it seems like you're not much of a DIY'r, it might be better to just call a plumber.

pauldw, Jul 8, 8:11pm
Modern single lever mixers may have ceramic inserts but twin tap mixers also exist.

2xpetes, Jul 8, 8:29pm
It’s aquatica brand.How much is a ceramic insert?

..pip.., Jul 9, 11:55am
I can turn mine off at the house, I don't have to walk the 300m to my gate

ceebee2, Oct 22, 10:53am
If a ceramic insert, I wouldnt bother with replacement (If any available) as it is cheaper in the long run to replace the entire tap and look for the longest warranty (Up to 5 years on some)