Should my mandarin tree have thorns!?!?

christin, Nov 30, 6:37am
I have a Miho mandarin tree in a pot. Down the bottom coming out of the trunk is a green growth, thought it was a new shoot of the tree so left it there. Just noticed today it seems to have different leaves, and has thorns! Like half an inch to an inch thorns!

I assume this isn't normal.? And why have I got them?

dibble35, Nov 30, 6:45am
Its the rootstock growing, cut it off at the trunk.

maclad, Nov 30, 6:47am
Yes, as above if you leave it there it will not produce the fruit you expect and it will grow so fast it will drain and take over your tree.

lythande1, Nov 30, 6:48am
Yes.
No, it??

christin, Nov 30, 7:55am
Thanks. I should have googled first! Just seemed so odd compare to thr ret of the plant. Will get rid of it :-)

figjamto, Dec 2, 5:31am
It is rootstock, my gardener/ friend noticed it at the bottom of my mandarin tree earlier this year. He told me that you have to break it off not cut it off (which he did for me) put gloves on and be careful of those thorns

mark_g, Dec 2, 6:11am
Break it off not cut it off - Why? Is it to do with more new growth resulting from the cut?

christin, Dec 2, 4:16pm
I broke it off the other night. Before I read that, but mostly cause I was too lazy to go get cutters lol,

figjamto, Jul 14, 4:18pm
sorry I have forgotten why. but I think they can grow again if cut off and less likely (or more slowly) if broken off