Wind tolerant specimen tree?

beagle12, Mar 9, 3:20am
Hi all, I am looking for a wind tolerant tree for my front garden. Not too large but it is to go in behind corokia hedging. I have looked at prunus trees and quite like the look of these. Would they be hardy enough? Thanks

nonumbers, Mar 9, 3:22am
Have a look around the neighbourhood and see what other people have. Pohutakawas seem to do OK in Patea.

jenny188, Mar 9, 6:03am
pick a tree with small leaves or needles. As" small", catches less wind they are less likely to batter themselves. Big leaves act like sails and tend to snap branches off more easily. Conifers might be an option . Do you want the mess associated with a tree that drops its leaves in Autumn? Flowering cherry maybe. Blossoms are spectacular.

sue72, Mar 9, 6:30am
what about a nice feijoa tree.they can cope with some wind and with bonus fruit

beagle12, Mar 9, 8:45am
I found one I like and asked the owners - it's a Manchurian pear tree (pyrus). Apparently they are sold in Palmerston North.

bluefrog2, Mar 10, 12:22am
I have a medium sized cherry blossom tree in the front garden that's rated for mid-high winds. Ask at your local nursery or garden centre, they should be able to help you find a suitable variety.
Note that with cherry blossoms, even if the tree is fine in high winds, you'll lose the blossoms as soon as the first good wind hits after it flowers. I think the longest we've had blossoms on our trees is a week.

breness, Mar 10, 12:30am
Have a look in your search engine for "Pyrus salicifolia pendula. Weeping Silver Pear. They are just gorgeous and anything with grey leaves is very hardy even to salt spray. Best of luck.

piquant, Mar 10, 1:35am
Pyrus calleryana. I think you will find that they are not particularly wind tolerant - a tendency to snap whole branches and split down the trunk. I've had several Pyrus calleryana "Kea" (a particularly lovely cultivar that colours beautifully in the autumn) and every one of them has succumbed to the wind - even the ones I thought were well protected. Just a rogue snatch of wind and they are damaged majorly. They grow fairly quickly which could be an indicator but they truly are magnificent trees.

kandjaja, Mar 12, 9:25am
Australian Frangipani?

richard112, Apr 15, 9:37am
Before you plant native, check your local council regs. Here we are not permitted to even prune a native once it is over 2 metres tall. Regardless of whether we planted it in our own garden or not. If it is creating serious nuisance we have to apply for consent, at our expense of course.