Ideas for building an old folks home.

Page 2 / 2
jkp58, Mar 9, 2:53am
they are old not dead. I have customers 80 to 95.The best things they did would be key outside where neigbours and st john know where it is'. build to the sun have a veiw that lets you watch the world go by.Grab rails are good'If they like gardening havesome at waist height.garage that is wide enough to open doors wide to get out of car low or no steps .a cleaner in once aweek gets house clean some one to talk to

artemis, Mar 9, 3:00am
Plenty of power points, and at waist level not floor level.

gilligee, Mar 9, 3:03am
Wider door ways have been mentioned and good access space on either side of the door is important too for manoeuvrability.

cinderellagowns, Mar 9, 6:05am
I'd be more inclined to consider the outdoor areas/landscaping. Easy, non-slip surfaces, no steps, accessible gardens, letterbox convenient height and position. Also security screens for the doors and maybe some of the windows so they can be left open etc.

summersunnz, Jul 13, 4:25am
+1. and that height for TV and phone points too. including at bedside.

I added extra external doors - from the bathroom, laundry, end of hall, plus kitchen, lounge, dining - if needing to get out, at least one is easily available. And coming in from the garden, straight into bathroom or laundry.

sboydnz, Jul 13, 5:04am
Biggest rage in England at the moment is the Air Body Dryer. Ideal for the elderly, infirmed, etc, its a blow heater unit fitted in the shower cubicle, on the same principle of the hand dryers, about 24 degrees of heat 2 speed fan, takes between 3-6 minutes to dry someone. Price wise around $1600 plus install. Brand new to the market here, pretty clever idea, saw one last week I was impressed.

annies3, Jul 13, 5:06am
+1 all our rooms have external doors, and easily accessible toilet and laundry to outdoors, also that wide entrance hall from which all rooms open off, I personally wouldn't go for a higher toilet initially, it is not difficult to change to a higher toilet if required, the things which are not easily altered are what needs to be done at planning stage.

pc_uncorrect, Jul 13, 6:29am
Sufficient solar (PV) panels, for home & underfloor heating.

cleggyboy, Jul 13, 6:35am
Plenty of interesting views from the windows and the main living area facing north. Plus many of the other suggestions.
Elderly folk when sitting like something to look at, rather than just a blank wall, and TV these days will send the poor souls insane.

gabbysnana, Jul 13, 6:44am
what crap it is the best sitting position half of peoples constipation and evacuation problems are caused by the tiny chinese dunnies.

dbb, Jul 13, 7:23am
Wonderful! Thank you.

I've always had a good day if I've learnt something new or had at least one good out-loud belly-laugh. With that quote, I've had both today, so it goes into the quote file (corrected as above) so others can enjoy it.

Thank you again.

dbb, Jul 13, 7:57am
Now that I'm 66 I've developed some symptoms of Oldfartitis.

One is feeling the cold much, much more and taking up to six weeks and even more to acclimatise. It took no more than two weeks when I was younger.

For instance, when the ambient temperature got down to 20 this year I felt almost frozen, but now I'm warmer at 15 degrees than I was back then. So 15 is mild and 12 is cold now, but that took about 8 weeks.

So, for the home, plenty of insulation and full use of free passive solar heating. North-facing windows with dark stone or concrete inside to collect heat during the day and disperse it at night. Plus there are other methods.

It can also be excellent to have bedroom windows facing east, because warm sun streaming in the window in the morning can be very enjoyable, positive and uplifting. Likewise bathroom and kitchen are also good facing east to catch the morning sun.

Porch, verandah or covered deck facing west is great late in the day for watching the sunset with drinkies.

So it's best to have a house on the south side of an east-west road for these things and hints in other posts, such as something to look at.

Another good thing for winter is a small, portable blower-heater, for localised heat when and where required, such as warming cold feet or cold bathroom. With good insulation it rarely needs to be on for more than about ten minutes, so is not costly power-wise.

Acclimatisation is also a reason Kiwis -- especially the elderly -- shouldn't go to Queensland in February for a two- or three-week trip. You'll be very uncomfortable while there unless stuck inside with air-conditioning, and will be back home before you've acclimatised to the heat.

henreitta, Jul 13, 8:28am
We just moved into a place recently, my wife has disability probs and mobility probs. Have found the power points and light switches lower on the wall is good as are the wider doors in all the rooms
hope it helps

kaz212, Jul 14, 7:06am
i'm in a powerchair and find sliding doors invaluable. I have one into the wet-floor bathroom, I wish I had one from the main living area into the hall-way, which I've recently seen in new retirement village units - 2 side doors that close in the middle, it's a huge space great for getting beds and wheelchairs through. Even a slide door into my bedroom would be good.
Level paths into the front door, level floors from inside to outside, no steps is good, just flat.

kaz212, Jul 14, 7:09am
Good point, gawd it was cold this morning in my wet-floor shower, but then it was -8C outside!

white_elephant, Jul 14, 7:45am
Reading this makes getting old sound like so much fun (not). I was finding it harder and harder to get out of my deep bath until I discovered a suction handle that attaches to the bath, what a difference it has made. I know older people are supposed to shower rather than bath but to some people, pure joy, is a long hot soak.

lissie, Jul 14, 10:13am
Sorry I don't buy a lot of this - I'm firmly in the view of use it or lose it. We've bought our last house (probably) and yes it has steps (one flight) - and no I don't care. Go to Europe you will see plenty of old people walking around town to do daily grocery shopping or climbing multiple flights of steps because old apartment buildings dont' have elevators.

I know plenty in their 70s and 80s who can still dance the night away - and plan to be one of them.

rhos1, Jul 14, 11:29am
Hear, hear! I like my hot soaking bath too - that's where I do my best thinking and planning for the day and week. Plus a few aches and niggles get soothed!

annies3, Jul 15, 6:10am
I just love my bath would never have a shower while there is plenty of hot water for the bath, hubby hates the bath though,
I have never heard that us oldies are not supposed to bath.

ae64, Nov 21, 9:47pm
look online for NZS 4121 - its the NZ Standard for building for impaired mobility - and forget the concept of "futurebuild" those marketing based educationalists in our industry would have had you running extra wiring and cables where now we have wireless. Oh and check on lighting requirements for older folk - they need more lux (check on line what Lux is if u no know)