Best Stain for deck

Page 2 / 2
eljayv, Dec 2, 8:31am
I would like to see a photo of a deck treated this way. I tried a spare piece of decking and some acrylic paint but it just looked like it was badly painted and needed another coat. Perhaps when it is properly dry it may look different.

nzjay, Dec 2, 9:51pm
Has anybody actually tried this method and can report back on results. I'm a bit reluctant to try it as I feel once there is acrylic in the pores of the wood, it may pretty well upset any other methods in the future.
The "quality" deck stain I have been using only lasts a season.

eljayv, Dec 3, 3:42am
Find an off cut of decking and some acrylic paint or a testpot and try it. Let us know the result, my son thinks it's okay. I differ.

nzjay, Dec 4, 7:26am
"bump'

choosy7, Dec 4, 11:43am
Cabots wet look deck stain is useless - stay away from this product

rusty-bones, Dec 4, 8:30pm
I am still very interested also.

nzjay, Dec 5, 11:52pm
yet another "bump". There just has to be something better than the washed out deck stains currently around?

eljayv, Dec 6, 4:24am
What is wrong with painting, it offers good protection and doesn't need doing very often.

mssteptoe, Dec 10, 8:06am
AWESOME!
Thankyou for that information. I'm renting and waiting for the owners to return from overseas to assess the balcony which is badly in need of re staining. I know how porous the timber is and was thinking oh boy this is going to cost them heaps. Well now I'll be able to save them a dollar and keep the place looking tidy and respectable.
What other little 'secrets' have you got tucked away that you might like to share?

nzjay, Dec 11, 3:34am
I would think. slippery when wet, if you don't carefully maintain it and it peels/blisters in the sun, it is going to be a major sanding job to be able to redo. This is what worries me.

eljayv, Dec 11, 8:10am
Our back deck is painted and has been for many years no problems, recoated a few times never needed prior sanding and I just feel it is well protected from the elements. Front deck has had tobe replaced and is stained but looks dry and thirsty again after a couple of years

senitor11, Dec 15, 10:10pm
So. I've read thru this thread, I water blasted our small macrocarpa deck last night that faces north.
Now to choose the paint. And a question, will the grain of the macrocarpa still show?

golfdiver, Dec 15, 10:15pm
Isn't Sikkens supposed to be the "duck's nuts" of stains?

nzjay, Dec 16, 4:59am
I've been doing some Googling.
Apparently "good" deck and furniture oils, will have a good percentage of Tung Oil and sometimes Boiled Linseed Oil.
The proprietary oils currently around, are usually based on canola, and other vegetable or mineral oils. quite possibly recycled fish and chip oil basically! Thin, cheap and no lasting properties!

clairen, Dec 16, 8:47am
So did you find any with tung oil or boiled lindseed oil?

nzjay, Dec 16, 7:47pm
Not yet, but Tung and Linseed oils are available. There is an Aust manufacturer with good info on their website. I'll see if I can find it again and post the link.

pskpinks, Dec 16, 8:10pm
Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong - originally oil stains were linseed oil based with pigment to add colour. Being a heavy oil subsequent coats built up on the surface of the wood like a paint - but lasted really well - except for mould build up on the surface - mould spores finds all vegetable oils delicious.
Of recent years people have wanted to 'see the grain' and have a'natural' oil finish [less film build up on the surface of the timber] hence thinner 'see through' oil stains are all the go.These lighter oils require re-coating far more frequently to ensure protection from the weather. They soak in but being thinner [& often water borne] oils they wear away quicker in our highly jeopardised climate. So - do you want 'natural and grain showing' and re-coat frequently - or heavier oils/paint like in appearance but re-coat isn't so frequently required. A word to the wise - it is the pigment [colour] added to the stain that helps protect the surface. Oil without colour is like undies - goodlooking but ineffectual in protecting from the elements. Any comments?

nzjay, Dec 16, 11:13pm
You are right, modern" deck oils" are packed with solvents etc to soak the oil in and show the grain. The old tung/linseed ones left a skin on top.
Linseed must have an anti mould additive, tung is more resistant, but probably should also have some anti mould in it.
Pigments help to a certain point, especially if they improve the UV properties. But the darker you go, the more heat absorbed, the more drying out.

marl, Dec 18, 8:18am
If I paint my deck would I have to put in sand to stop it being slippery when walking on it,when wet
My decking is smooth,not ridged

eljayv, Dec 18, 9:06am
Our back deck is smooth and painted and does not have sand in the paint, maybe we are lucky but it is not slippery. Our dog would sometimes race around with muddy paws and I found the painted deck easy to mop or sponge down. I think we used timbercryl paint

wendalls, Mar 24, 10:03am
I think I will have a go with test pots and lots of off cuts as it sounds way better than the hard labour of cleaning and staining our huge pool side deck every 2 years. Hubby is thinking of getting rid of it and paving because it warps due to not being done with decking screws. Will post a photo if we do it. Won't be till end of summer though.