Fig Tree HELP

watertank1, Jan 15, 11:36pm
Hi, I have just noticed a Fig tree on our new farm covered in Figs! some are larger and some just small - I was thinking I could harvest and sell them, however what is the best way to keep the birds off? I was thinking paper bagging them? it is a massive tree so no hope of me bird netting it. we are in Rotorua . when are they normally ready? I googled and said that they are ripe when they hang? some seem that way now. TIA

mothergoose_nz, Jan 16, 1:19am
the large ones will be ready soon. the small ones will be ready late autumn and will be smaller.the big ones should be ready any day. have you looked at any.we used to sell the later ones. great for jam etc.

watertank1, Jan 16, 1:41am
ive cut a few open and they don't look very appealing,,,, quite dry inside too however I don't think they were near ready, there is one I have just bagged that I assume will be ready anyday, it is soft and looks a different colour. only time will tell, farm owner informs me the tree is around 100 years old!

sally63, Jan 16, 1:59am
They have to be a purple colour and starting to soften. Delicious stewed with brown sugar, a bit of balsamic vinegar and cinnamon and creme freche

maclad, Jan 16, 2:57am
I have been told they are ready when once picked the white sap no longer bleeds from the stem.

summersunnz, Jan 16, 3:24am
And when there's a slight split showing at the bottom.

gilligee, Jun 9, 4:00pm
The birds usually peck into them just before they are ready for us!