Painting Lockwood interior walls

margo191, Mar 4, 9:13am
Has anyone done this? After 21 years of living in my Lockwood home I am considering painting the interior. Just not sure about brand of paint to use and whether a semi gloss.

ntalke, Mar 4, 6:46pm
Pay to get in contact with Lockwood as the newer Lockwoods have a Blonding finish that is a lot more attractive than the older darker ones

But probably very simple just to paint over with the appropriate paint

robb55, Mar 4, 7:26pm
If you are going to revarnish just a clean and a light sand , 2 coats a semigloss varnish. Decorated a large no of lockwoods in Hawke bay

exfish, Mar 4, 7:29pm
Did one years ago. think we ended up using a pigmented sealer as a first coat, used a truckload of "no more gaps " etc to fill knot holes splits and gaps between boards that paint wouldn't fill. Was a real bugger of a job as it had high pitched sarked ceilings but the end result was prettty cool.

margo191, Mar 4, 8:26pm
Thanks for the replies. I did see inside a painted Lockwood at one time but didn't think the painted walls looked that nice . I think they were painted in a gloss, looked cheap. So, probably depends on the type of paint used.

jan2242, Mar 4, 9:54pm
I have seen one that was painted white inside - looked terrible.

rednicnz, Mar 5, 4:03am
My mother in law has painted parts of hers. Think more in terms of feature walls rather than the whole of large rooms. Although she did do the whole of her bathroom. I really like it, but am not a fan of wood everywhere to start with! Hers are quite matt/low sheen, like normal walls. I suspect that you can paint them whatever sheen you want, but as usual it's the prep that's the important thing!

johotech, Mar 5, 5:28am
You might just be "over it". Maybe time to move.

richard362, Mar 5, 6:03am
Yep. surface prep could be an issue. I have seen one done well by gibbing over.

margo191, Mar 5, 6:30am
A bit over the wood but not the location - absolute waterfront with beautiful vista! I love the house but think I will get rid of the dark stained doors by painting over, some walls and the sarked ceilings are white as original when built, so painting the dark stained joinery including the kitchen cabinetry could be a start.

margo191, Mar 5, 6:34am
Like the sound of this - yep, I'm thinking of painting whole of the bathroom, is a bit dowdy with all the wood although ceiling is white.

ntalke, Mar 5, 6:40am
Kitchen could be updated as a normal house,doors can be replaced with more modern ones
There is a coating called Lockwood Blonde that Lockwood would have had a hand in developing

http://www.timbakote.co.nz/Surface+Applications/Blonding+Interior+Timber+-+Timbakote+Lockwood+Blond.html#surface

If yours is a very dark stain it may take more time to bring back,that is why advice from the builder is paramount

margo191, Mar 5, 6:55am
This is interesting, hadn't heard of this before, will consider. Thanks for this information.

ntalke, Mar 5, 6:58am
This from there website a week ago

http://www.lockwood.co.nz/Blog/TabId/199/ArtMID/772/ArticleID/128/Dash-of-lime.aspx

And I have no association with them at all if you may be thinking that

margo191, May 5, 7:34pm
Wow! Great site, certainly very helpful, thanks. Time for this 1979 Lockwood to have a make over.